Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
VIN tag under hood?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2012, 03:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Default VIN tag under hood?

Recently had body work done to my wife's 07 Touring. She was backed into by a boat on a trailer and the motor messed up the hood. Her car was in perfect condition before and now its just not the same. The shop says they replaced it with a new factory hood but the repair invoice says its used salvage. When we asked the shooo they said they got a quote for a used salvage hood and the dealer price matched that price on a brand new one. I am kinda under the impression he's full of it.

Do original hoods have a VIN sticker on the outside passenger edge underside? There is some sort of long strip decal that was painted over and im thinking its the VIN sticker from the old car it came from. Can anyone confirm this? Its just hard to believe the dealer sold them a hood for the price of a salvage one. Im sure that had to be below cost.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 03:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: VIN tag under hood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlerocket View Post
Do original hoods have a VIN sticker on the outside passenger edge underside?
They don't put VIN's on stickers. Too easy to take off and modify.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 03:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Typically aren't they the etched stickers? I know I've seen vehicles with them. To clarify the location of this sticker, its the underside of the hood on the passenger side about halfway to the front and near the outer edge. About 2.5" long and. 5"long wide
Old 13 Aug 2012, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well i went and raised my hoon nothign there????? Does the hood look good??? the color and finish nice and smooth and shinny??
I can tell you a salvage yard or a OEm there some times isnt a lot of diffrence in price
Old 13 Aug 2012, 03:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

I just looked and mine has that sticker but on the drivers side. It is right in line with the steering wheel at the base of the hood. It has the VIN on it and what looks like a part number. It looks to be a metal sticker with the Mopar emblem on it. Mine is a 2009.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 06:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've got an '06, nothing on the underside of the hood except for the stickers I've put on it. As far as salvaged versus new, if your insurance paid for it, and it doesn't look right, then take it back to the shop. Your insurance company will back you up. I had my front bumper repainted twice because of the paint runs the aholes left on it. They argued with me that it was on the underside of the bumper cover where no one could see it, then my question to them was, "how the hell is that true? I've seen it just fine, so fix it!". lol
Old 14 Aug 2012, 09:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Ask them to see the invoice for the OEM hood. They're required to keep and submit invoices to the insurance company for parts price increases, supplements, etc.

I can tell you that often a dealer will match the price of a salvage part to make a sale, unless the price is drastically lower than dealer price. It's pretty likely that the dealer actually did match the price. Most body shops prefer using OEM over aftermarket and salvage. With salvage, they'll have more time into cleanup and reconditioning. With aftermarket, the fit won't be quite the same and sometimes it's harder to get it back together. With OEM they don't have to worry about any of that.

however, if that's true the body shop will have an invoice from the dealer.

Last edited by heifetz17; 14 Aug 2012 at 09:32 am.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 10:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Now this is just me.......
But I'd be mainly concerned about the fit and finish. How does it look? A salvage hood has probably lived its life up high and dry and be a factory piece and not a piece of Chinese tinfoil. All those beautiful classic cars you see at car shows and on those TV auction programs are put together with parts from salvage, NOS and fresh reproductions, in short, anywhere they can get them. It's not the history of the part that matters. It's the craftsmanship of putting them together.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 11:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
Now this is just me.......
But I'd be mainly concerned about the fit and finish. How does it look? A salvage hood has probably lived its life up high and dry and be a factory piece and not a piece of Chinese tinfoil. All those beautiful classic cars you see at car shows and on those TV auction programs are put together with parts from salvage, NOS and fresh reproductions, in short, anywhere they can get them. It's not the history of the part that matters. It's the craftsmanship of putting them together.
While this is a good point, it does not address the issue with salvage parts quite often needing additional repairs before being ready to install on the vehicle. A salvage hood, for instance, may have dents and other damage needing body filler before being painted. Everybody agrees that a part free of fillers and compounds is more desireable than one with.

You're correct though, that a salvage hood is still a factory hood, and the fit and finish will be the same as if it were new.