Advertisements
Rear Hatch Won't Open

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alanrw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2012, 12:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Rear Hatch Won't Open

As stated, 2002 hatch won't open with key. I can hear the electric operator functioning, but nothing happens when I use the hand latch. I am assuming a linkage has come loose internally. Anyone know of a way in when the hatch is in the closed position? I don't think the interior trim on the hatch can come off if the hatch is closed.

thanks

alan
Old 14 Aug 2012, 02:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Hatch Won't Open

You might be able to get the panel off with it closed. I just had mine off this past weekend, although, with the hatch open.
I would give it a try, it has a release pin at the top, the rest just pulls off.
If you can get the top loose enough to get your arm down there, you could just pull the rod that unlocks it.

Last edited by 32seventeen; 14 Aug 2012 at 02:05 pm.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 04:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Could be that it's gotten disconnected. Did you notice, previous to it's quitting working, if the latch assembly had a decent amount of grease on it? I caught my wife actually washing her latch off because of the grease on it and soon as she was done I snuck out and re-greased it to insure it keeps working.

When you try to open the tailgate, before turning the key, press in on the tailgate towards the bottom, see if that pressure inward takes the stress off the latch. If not, then try pulling out on the handle while unlocking. See which direction might help release the latch. Also saw once a guy had his son sit inside the back end, pressing his feet against the tailgate and push like crazy while he was trying to unlock, kicked it a few times and it popped open.
Old 16 Aug 2012, 09:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

OK, good news. I pulled the pin and insert the pin fits into and the trim just pulled right off giving me access to the mechanism. Somehow, the actuator got d/c'd from the lock lever. Simple 5 min. fix.

thanks to all who responded.