Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Misfire fixed... oh wait. Nope.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2012, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Misfire fixed... oh wait. Nope.

Hi all. I've learned a lot from tons of posts here, but this is my first time post.

I took my 2006 manual trans PT 2.4 (not a turbo) into the mechanic to diagnose an engine light. I got back a code for "misfire on cylinder 1". The mechanic said he checked the primary and secondary ignition systems and wanted to replace the ignition coil pack and plugs. I said "no thanks" so I could do it myself.

I followed the guide here and successfully replaced the coil pack, plug wires, plugs - and while I was at it I popped in a new air filter and pcv valve.

I drove the car for about 30 miles and things seemed great. But on my way home during my test drive I would pop it into neutral (just depressing and holding the clutch down) when coming to a stop and the PT stalled. I tested it a few more times and 3 out of 5 times it would stall. The other 2 times the idle would dip down to almost 0 then recover.

And, of course, when I finally get back to my driveway and let it sit and idle for a while the engine light comes back on. But this time it comes on flashing for about a minute, then goes away for several minutes before coming back on and blinking for a few minutes. What the what?

I did the key dance and it didn't come up with any codes. I'm trying to track down a friend with a scanner to see what code it spits out now (if not the same misfire one). But in the meantime, has anyone else run into this scenario? Am I looking at a Idle Control replacement or does this sound like it could be a vacuum leak?

Thanks,
Garry

EDIT: I'm reading that it might be in my best interest to take a look at the EGR Valve too, but looking at tons of parts websites I only see the EGR Valve Gaskets, not the Valve itself. Is that all I should start out replacing, just the mounting gasket?

Last edited by GarryH; 18 Aug 2012 at 06:22 pm.
Old 18 Aug 2012, 07:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Misfire fixed... oh wait. Nope.

If you are in the states you don't have an egr valve. You really need the code to see hat is going on.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryH View Post
Hi all. I've learned a lot from tons of posts here, but this is my first time post.

I took my 2006 manual trans PT 2.4 (not a turbo) into the mechanic to diagnose an engine light. I got back a code for "misfire on cylinder 1". The mechanic said he checked the primary and secondary ignition systems and wanted to replace the ignition coil pack and plugs. I said "no thanks" so I could do it myself.

I followed the guide here and successfully replaced the coil pack, plug wires, plugs - and while I was at it I popped in a new air filter and pcv valve.

I drove the car for about 30 miles and things seemed great. But on my way home during my test drive I would pop it into neutral (just depressing and holding the clutch down) when coming to a stop and the PT stalled. I tested it a few more times and 3 out of 5 times it would stall. The other 2 times the idle would dip down to almost 0 then recover.

And, of course, when I finally get back to my driveway and let it sit and idle for a while the engine light comes back on. But this time it comes on flashing for about a minute, then goes away for several minutes before coming back on and blinking for a few minutes. What the what?

I did the key dance and it didn't come up with any codes. I'm trying to track down a friend with a scanner to see what code it spits out now (if not the same misfire one). But in the meantime, has anyone else run into this scenario? Am I looking at a Idle Control replacement or does this sound like it could be a vacuum leak?

Thanks,
Garry

EDIT: I'm reading that it might be in my best interest to take a look at the EGR Valve too, but looking at tons of parts websites I only see the EGR Valve Gaskets, not the Valve itself. Is that all I should start out replacing, just the mounting gasket?
I'm in that same boat only with a Subaru. I do get codes for Idle position and the air idle control valve. So i haven't replaced anything yet. But I would look at the IAC and clean or replace that or check the wiring to those components.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Aug 2012, 05:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay, so a friend of mine who's an ex Ford mechanic hooked up his scanner and popped the hood and this is the info I got out of it.

Yes, it is the P0301 code I originally had before I changed plugs etc. He also revved it in neutral and said he could hear/feel the misfire.

I told him what I replaced and he said, since the electrical components have been addressed, it is most likely a mechanical issue. He said I should have it taken to a mechanic to have them check the pressure of the valve and the integrity of the head. This all sounds very expensive.

Another piece of the puzzle - When I push in the clutch and turn the wheel hard (like turning into my driveway) the car stalls.

What do you guys think?
Old 26 Aug 2012, 08:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

I would definitely check the IAC. It controls the idle on your car. Whenever the computer sense's a load, which would be turning on the air conditioner, the headlights, turning the wheels if you have power steering, then the computer sends a signal to the IAC, then the IAC activates the plunger to open up to allow more air so the idle stays up to prevent your car from stalling.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

So I took my PT in and had the compression checked on cylinder one and it was very low - it ended up being a valve job. Ouch. That was expensive, but at least that's all taken care of.

Now I get to deal with replacing the clutch kit...
Old 18 Sep 2012, 12:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryH View Post
So I took my PT in and had the compression checked on cylinder one and it was very low - it ended up being a valve job. Ouch. That was expensive, but at least that's all taken care of.

Now I get to deal with replacing the clutch kit...
Sorry to hear.

I was about to tell you to check your clutch plate before i read this post.