Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
wheel cover retaining nut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2012, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default wheel cover retaining nut

Hi, does anybody knows where can I get the oem wheel covers retaining nuts?
I bought a PT and it was missing the wheel covers, I went on ebay and bought a set of oem wheel covers and now I need the retaining nuts
Old 19 Aug 2012, 06:30 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: wheel cover retaining nut

It would help to know the year, but i believe there isnt any difference between years on the wheel nuts. Heres a couple links, i bought mine from the dodge dealer, (P/N 06504672) thinking these were a special type of nut, and paid $11.00 USD a piece for them, only to find out that they are made by Dorman, which is the same company that the auto parts stores and ebay sellers use but sell at half the price. Here are 2 links. Any auto parts stores should carry them though, they might keep them behind the counter so talk to the parts person.

DORMAN 611-181 Wheel Lug Nut | eBay

Dorman Wheel Nut/Wheel Nut (611-181.1) | 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4 Cylinders B 2.4L SFI DOHC | AutoZone.com
Old 19 Aug 2012, 08:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeosCruiser View Post
It would help to know the year, but i believe there isnt any difference between years on the wheel nuts. Heres a couple links, i bought mine from the dodge dealer, (P/N 06504672) thinking these were a special type of nut, and paid $11.00 USD a piece for them, only to find out that they are made by Dorman, which is the same company that the auto parts stores and ebay sellers use but sell at half the price. Here are 2 links. Any auto parts stores should carry them though, they might keep them behind the counter so talk to the parts person.

DORMAN 611-181 Wheel Lug Nut | eBay

Dorman Wheel Nut/Wheel Nut (611-181.1) | 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4 Cylinders B 2.4L SFI DOHC | AutoZone.com
Thank you very much, but this is the lug nut, right? I was looking for the plastic ones that goes over the lug nut and retain the wheel cover...Did you replace the stock ones for these?
Old 19 Aug 2012, 10:16 am
Young Cruiser

They do not use the plastic covers, at least in every one ive seen they do not. I believe ford and gm use those, I have yet to see a PT using those. Did you buy OEM hubcaps? Like These?
Chrysler PT Cruiser hubcap 03-10 fits 15 inch wheels | eBay
If so, then you do not need them, if you look at 3 of the holes they have a ledge which the lug nut clamps down on, the other to holes have like plastic fingers that allow you to put 2 lug nuts on the wheel to hold it in place. So youll want to put the 2 adjacent lug nuts on first, then carefully snap the wheel cover on to the lug nuts, and finish by installing the remaining 3 lug nuts to hold the hub cap/wheel assembly on, torque all the lug nuts and your good to go. It sounds more complicated then it really is.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 12:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeosCruiser View Post
They do not use the plastic covers, at least in every one ive seen they do not. I believe ford and gm use those, I have yet to see a PT using those. Did you buy OEM hubcaps? Like These?
Chrysler PT Cruiser hubcap 03-10 fits 15 inch wheels | eBay
If so, then you do not need them, if you look at 3 of the holes they have a ledge which the lug nut clamps down on, the other to holes have like plastic fingers that allow you to put 2 lug nuts on the wheel to hold it in place. So youll want to put the 2 adjacent lug nuts on first, then carefully snap the wheel cover on to the lug nuts, and finish by installing the remaining 3 lug nuts to hold the hub cap/wheel assembly on, torque all the lug nuts and your good to go. It sounds more complicated then it really is.
the pt wheel covers do have plastic lug nuts that thread over the existing lugnuts, which are threaded on the outside.
when i take my car in for brakes or or anything where they have to remove the wheels, i always remove my wheel covers and leave them at home.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 04:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Wierd as mine, and all the ones ive seen around here do not.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 09:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

my 03 has 5 lug nuts three that retain both the cover and wheel and two that retain just the wheel