Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
horn stuck on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2012, 09:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default horn stuck on

OK, here's my sad story. I've looked around the site and not found much that really applies, so I thought I'd try a new thread.

A while ago my horn stuck on. I pulled the fuse and tried to figure out what the problem might be, but was put off by stories of $600 airbag modules, etc.

less than two weeks ago, I took it into the stealership to get it fixed. I live in VA and need the horn working for the inspection. The service advisor claimed that it needed steering wheel replaced for $1400, but they could replace the airbag retention clips and lube it up for about $200 and that would probably fix it.

This morning, I tapped the horn and it stuck on again. The service advisor is getting ready to email me a quote.

Any ideas how I can get this fixed for less? My self-repair options are somewhat limited as I live in a condo development that doesn't want me working on my car. I need this to be cheap as I have a rough idle causing CELs that I have to get fixed to pass my emissions inspection also.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 09:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: horn stuck on

If you hit it and it stuck ON, the problem is surely in the steering wheel. Shouldn't have a problem with the air bag going off and the dealer or whoever said they charge $200 will definitely do the same thing (take the center of the wheel off).

Here's how to do it.

horn problems

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Aug 2012 at 09:42 am.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 09:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
If you hit it and it stuck ON, the problem is surely in the steering wheel. Shouldn't have a problem with the air bag going off and the dealer or whoever said they charge $200 will definitely do the same thing (take the center of the wheel off).

Here's how to do it.

How do you remove a steering wheel from a pt cruiser? - JustAnswer

Thanks Crewzin!

The dealer did charge $200 and the fix didn't last - I'm just not sure where to look next. The repair sheet says that the airbag retention clips were seized up.

Any idea what replacing the whole airbag assembly should cost? Is it safe to go with used parts for any of this?
Old 27 Aug 2012, 10:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the airbag never went off it the used parts (center of wheel) I would think it's OK to go with it. Don't have any idea what they would charge for it. If you have a salave yard around you, you could see if they have already pulled the center off a crashed PT if it wasn't hit in the front.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Aug 2012, 07:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

here ya go hope this helps, installing one is a very very easy job
03 04 05 pt cruiser driver air bag | eBay
04 PT CRUISER AIR BAG FR DRIVER WHL | eBay
03 PT CRUISER AIR BAG FR DRIVER WHL | eBay
Old 28 Aug 2012, 06:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

so if I'm looking at that diagram correctly, it appears that the horn switch is completely within the airbag module - is that right?

to address my wife's safety concerns - if the airbag light doesn't come on then a used bag that we install should be fine, right?
Old 28 Aug 2012, 07:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Answered my own question.

Last edited by Ray_Dockrey; 28 Aug 2012 at 07:28 am.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 08:57 am
Senior Cruiser

This stuck horn deal happened to me once upon a time on my old Dodge Ram. Someone cut me off in traffic and I used my super powers to mash the horn to covey my wrath. Well the horn stuck "ON" and I had to pull over and crawl under the bumper to pull the wire lug on the horn. A couple of weeks later when I decided to take care of the horn problem, I discovered it had healed itself and returned to normal.

This was a lesson that taught me to control my super powers better.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 09:09 am
Cool Cruiser

unless deployed a used bag will be fine as they are impossible to "reassemble" and yes a defective bag will set off the airbag light .SAFETY TIP: remove negative battery terminal and push the brake pedal to bleed any remaining power from the system BEFORE working on any airbag system.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 09:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help everyone! For the record, my cruiser is an 04 Turbo-lite.

I'm going to see if I can pull the airbag back a little to get it to shut off. Any recommendations on spray lube that doesn't stink?

I just ordered a scan tool, I'm hoping that can help me get things squared away for my impending inspection.