PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Reverse light issue

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2012, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Reverse light issue

I have a 2003 PT GT Limited with the auto transmission. A while back the back up lights quit working. For a while, they would sometimes work and sometimes not, but now they just don't. I did some checking, and the whole circuit is good (apparently) up until the ground. I put the car in reverse, and used a test light from the purple wire to ground, (latch for liftgate) and it lights up, and it doesn't on the black (expected) So I pull out the voltmeter and check the voltage across the terminals on the plug, 12.6 (car off, in reverse) and the voltage from purple to ground, 12.6, and black to ground, 0. This confused me here, when I tested for resistance (ohm) the purple was all over (no surprise) but the black tested 0.000 ohm.

So the black wire to ground is good, the purple wire has power, but the lights won't work... bulbs are good, btw.

Any ideas, anyone?
Old 29 Aug 2012, 09:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Reverse light issue

Are the bulbs good?
Old 29 Aug 2012, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder18 View Post
I have a 2003 PT GT Limited with the auto transmission. A while back the back up lights quit working. For a while, they would sometimes work and sometimes not, but now they just don't. I did some checking, and the whole circuit is good (apparently) up until the ground. I put the car in reverse, and used a test light from the purple wire to ground, (latch for liftgate) and it lights up, and it doesn't on the black (expected) So I pull out the voltmeter and check the voltage across the terminals on the plug, 12.6 (car off, in reverse) and the voltage from purple to ground, 12.6, and black to ground, 0. This confused me here, when I tested for resistance (ohm) the purple was all over (no surprise) but the black tested 0.000 ohm.

So the black wire to ground is good, the purple wire has power, but the lights won't work... bulbs are good, btw.

Any ideas, anyone?
Is the switch good and adjusted to proper position?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 30 Aug 2012 at 07:48 am.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

Any ideas, anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Are the bulbs good?
Old 29 Aug 2012, 11:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I guess what I'm looking for is a wiring schematic. I'm an ASE certified auto tech (not professional, threw too many wrenches ) and know my stuff. I just need to find out, because I don't have access to Mitchell or Alldata, nor do I have a Chiltons atm, where the ground is for the backup lights. I'll put new bulbs in tomorrow and see if they work, but a close visual inspection showed nothing wrong with them.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 02:49 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You are testing the wires, have you tested the socket? Maybe contacts need to be cleaned?
Old 30 Aug 2012, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Tested the wires through the socket.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 01:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The ground is behind the left rear quarter panel plastic, above the wheel-well curve.
Working back from there, ground, connector C303, splice S306, back up lights, connectors C303, C202, C105, C102, back-up light switch, fuse #6 (10a).

C303, dark grey- left rearward of wheel well
C202, white- left kick panel
C105, white- left of instrument panel
C102, light grey- engine compartment (forward of transmission)
S306 (near T/O for License Lamp)

Quote:
I guess what I'm looking for is a wiring schematic. I'm an ASE certified auto tech...I just need to find out, ... where the ground is for the backup lights....
Old 30 Aug 2012, 02:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

The fact that it was working on and off for a while sort of points to the switch and not the bulb(s). You didn't say if both were out together and on together but it would seem unlikely that both bulbs went bad at the same time. If you have determined that power is getting back to the sockets then that would mean the switch is good. Next test is to power up the back ups with bulbs and make a ground AFTER the socket with your test probe. Of course the bulb must be in and good or you won't have a complete circut. If you can't light 'em up, the problem is a broken wire, wire connector or socket (or bulb). Use your probe foot by foot or inch by inch if you have to, to find exactly where the break is located. I don't know the details of the wiring, if there is a common ground wire for both or if each has its own, but if both are off or on at the same time that says the break is somewhere that the feed or ground is common. It's a pretty basic process of elimination.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 04:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
The fact that it was working on and off for a while sort of points to the switch and not the bulb(s). You didn't say if both were out together and on together but it would seem unlikely that both bulbs went bad at the same time. If you have determined that power is getting back to the sockets then that would mean the switch is good. Next test is to power up the back ups with bulbs and make a ground AFTER the socket with your test probe. Of course the bulb must be in and good or you won't have a complete circut. If you can't light 'em up, the problem is a broken wire, wire connector or socket (or bulb). Use your probe foot by foot or inch by inch if you have to, to find exactly where the break is located. I don't know the details of the wiring, if there is a common ground wire for both or if each has its own, but if both are off or on at the same time that says the break is somewhere that the feed or ground is common. It's a pretty basic process of elimination.
If the switch makes the ground, then the switch would still be in play.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 30 Aug 2012 at 04:43 pm.

Tags
back up, backup, confuzulling, reverse