PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Reverse light issue

 
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2012, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Post Reverse light issue

I have a 2003 PT GT Limited with the auto transmission. A while back the back up lights quit working. For a while, they would sometimes work and sometimes not, but now they just don't. I did some checking, and the whole circuit is good (apparently) up until the ground. I put the car in reverse, and used a test light from the purple wire to ground, (latch for liftgate) and it lights up, and it doesn't on the black (expected) So I pull out the voltmeter and check the voltage across the terminals on the plug, 12.6 (car off, in reverse) and the voltage from purple to ground, 12.6, and black to ground, 0. This confused me here, when I tested for resistance (ohm) the purple was all over (no surprise) but the black tested 0.000 ohm.

So the black wire to ground is good, the purple wire has power, but the lights won't work... bulbs are good, btw.

Any ideas, anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2012, 09:24 pm
Ray_Dockrey's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mustang, OK
Posts: 1,213
Default Re: Reverse light issue

Are the bulbs good?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2012, 09:35 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: Reverse light issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder18 View Post
I have a 2003 PT GT Limited with the auto transmission. A while back the back up lights quit working. For a while, they would sometimes work and sometimes not, but now they just don't. I did some checking, and the whole circuit is good (apparently) up until the ground. I put the car in reverse, and used a test light from the purple wire to ground, (latch for liftgate) and it lights up, and it doesn't on the black (expected) So I pull out the voltmeter and check the voltage across the terminals on the plug, 12.6 (car off, in reverse) and the voltage from purple to ground, 12.6, and black to ground, 0. This confused me here, when I tested for resistance (ohm) the purple was all over (no surprise) but the black tested 0.000 ohm.

So the black wire to ground is good, the purple wire has power, but the lights won't work... bulbs are good, btw.

Any ideas, anyone?
Is the switch good and adjusted to proper position?
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 30 Aug 2012 at 07:48 am.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2012, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Default Re: Reverse light issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder18 View Post

So the black wire to ground is good, the purple wire has power, but the lights won't work... bulbs are good, btw.

Any ideas, anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Are the bulbs good?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 29 Aug 2012, 11:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Default Re: Reverse light issue

I guess what I'm looking for is a wiring schematic. I'm an ASE certified auto tech (not professional, threw too many wrenches ) and know my stuff. I just need to find out, because I don't have access to Mitchell or Alldata, nor do I have a Chiltons atm, where the ground is for the backup lights. I'll put new bulbs in tomorrow and see if they work, but a close visual inspection showed nothing wrong with them.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 30 Aug 2012, 02:49 am
needmoretoys's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rising Sun MD
Posts: 643
Default Re: Reverse light issue

You are testing the wires, have you tested the socket? Maybe contacts need to be cleaned?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 30 Aug 2012, 11:19 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11
Default Re: Reverse light issue

Tested the wires through the socket.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 30 Aug 2012, 01:38 pm
sanatanadharma's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Walking distance to the embassy
Posts: 3,100
Default Re: Reverse light issue

The ground is behind the left rear quarter panel plastic, above the wheel-well curve.
Working back from there, ground, connector C303, splice S306, back up lights, connectors C303, C202, C105, C102, back-up light switch, fuse #6 (10a).

C303, dark grey- left rearward of wheel well
C202, white- left kick panel
C105, white- left of instrument panel
C102, light grey- engine compartment (forward of transmission)
S306 (near T/O for License Lamp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder18 View Post
I guess what I'm looking for is a wiring schematic. I'm an ASE certified auto tech...I just need to find out, ... where the ground is for the backup lights....
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 30 Aug 2012, 02:03 pm
2step's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Braunfels, Texas.
Posts: 1,672
Default Re: Reverse light issue

The fact that it was working on and off for a while sort of points to the switch and not the bulb(s). You didn't say if both were out together and on together but it would seem unlikely that both bulbs went bad at the same time. If you have determined that power is getting back to the sockets then that would mean the switch is good. Next test is to power up the back ups with bulbs and make a ground AFTER the socket with your test probe. Of course the bulb must be in and good or you won't have a complete circut. If you can't light 'em up, the problem is a broken wire, wire connector or socket (or bulb). Use your probe foot by foot or inch by inch if you have to, to find exactly where the break is located. I don't know the details of the wiring, if there is a common ground wire for both or if each has its own, but if both are off or on at the same time that says the break is somewhere that the feed or ground is common. It's a pretty basic process of elimination.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 30 Aug 2012, 04:37 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: Reverse light issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
The fact that it was working on and off for a while sort of points to the switch and not the bulb(s). You didn't say if both were out together and on together but it would seem unlikely that both bulbs went bad at the same time. If you have determined that power is getting back to the sockets then that would mean the switch is good. Next test is to power up the back ups with bulbs and make a ground AFTER the socket with your test probe. Of course the bulb must be in and good or you won't have a complete circut. If you can't light 'em up, the problem is a broken wire, wire connector or socket (or bulb). Use your probe foot by foot or inch by inch if you have to, to find exactly where the break is located. I don't know the details of the wiring, if there is a common ground wire for both or if each has its own, but if both are off or on at the same time that says the break is somewhere that the feed or ground is common. It's a pretty basic process of elimination.
If the switch makes the ground, then the switch would still be in play.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 30 Aug 2012 at 04:43 pm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
back up, backup, confuzulling, reverse


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reverse Lamp issue ... Jabouty Tech & Performance Forum 8 12 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Mork's Tail Light and Reverse Light Tint Progress Morkeste Exterior Accessories Forum 30 23 Jun 2011 12:20 pm
Reverse Light ptcruz311 Classifieds: For Sale/Trade 0 09 Oct 2005 01:10 am
Reverse light stolen, need a new one. coolvirus Exterior Accessories Forum 5 29 Jun 2003 07:47 pm
BETTER REVERSE LIGHT FOR RHD westozpt Exterior Accessories Forum 0 20 May 2002 03:55 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors