PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
bad safety inspection results

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2012, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default bad safety inspection results

I just got bad news from the inspection shop. They claim my 2004 PT turbo-lite needs both lower control arm bushings ($299 each), a motor mount ($159), and a transmission mount ($209).

All the quoted prices include installation. They recommend replacing the entire control arm for $349 each instead of just the bushings.

My PT has 95k on it and will need the water pump and timing belt - is it time to throw in the towel?

Are these jobs that an average person can do in their driveway? The prices including labor don't seem terrible, but it all add up so quickly.

Any encouraging words or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm kinda freaking out.

edit to add

This is on top of the airbag needing to be replaced to fix the horn. My wife is unwilling to use a used part, so that's another $900.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 02:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: bad safety inspection results

The owners I'm used to hanging out with on the forums pretty much do all those bushing replacements themselves. And they often upgrade the rubber bushings to poly bushings. The bushings can be thought of as a wear out and replace item, kind of like tires. The parts are only a fraction of the total cost. The bigger share is labor. I realize not everyone is ready, willing and able to do a project like that but you also don't have to jump on the first quote you get. You can shop around. I would say the price quoted is on the high side of average/normal. They're not totally bending you over but they aren't offering to use any KY, either.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know that the bushings wear out - is it normal to replace the whole arm so you get the ball joint and other bushing, or do people just do the one worn bushing?
Old 30 Aug 2012, 02:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

either way depending on the condition and that is freaking HIGh its just not that hard and its not that long of a job i bet parts for all of it are under a Benjiman
Old 30 Aug 2012, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
either way depending on the condition and that is freaking HIGh its just not that hard and its not that long of a job i bet parts for all of it are under a Benjiman
Yeah, that's what I get for living in a high cost of living area.

I'm getting about $270 from advance auto for moog control arms and the mounts. If I just did the bushings it probably would be around $100.

The only issue is I'm not sure how realistic it is for me to think I'm going to do the mounts. I don't have a tranny jack. Also, I'd need to get a torque wrench to do the control arms.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 03:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlefthand View Post
Yeah, that's what I get for living in a high cost of living area.

I'm getting about $270 from advance auto for moog control arms and the mounts. If I just did the bushings it probably would be around $100.

The only issue is I'm not sure how realistic it is for me to think I'm going to do the mounts. I don't have a tranny jack. Also, I'd need to get a torque wrench to do the control arms.
Have you tried rockauto.com? Last I checked the control arms were less than $50 each. I recently purchased a bunch of parts from them for my PT, and have used them for other projects. The part quality is good and the service is excellent. Might make that torque wrench more affordable, and still have money for a floor jack.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 30 Aug 2012, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlefthand View Post
I just got bad news from the inspection shop. They claim my 2004 PT turbo-lite needs both lower control arm bushings ($299 each), a motor mount ($159), and a transmission mount ($209).

All the quoted prices include installation. They recommend replacing the entire control arm for $349 each instead of just the bushings.

My PT has 95k on it and will need the water pump and timing belt - is it time to throw in the towel?

Are these jobs that an average person can do in their driveway? The prices including labor don't seem terrible, but it all add up so quickly.

Any encouraging words or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm kinda freaking out.

edit to add

This is on top of the airbag needing to be replaced to fix the horn. My wife is unwilling to use a used part, so that's another $900.
She has been useing a used part for 95k. Replace the clock spring.

Far as the rest as Badglas is right parts pretty cheep. Look in the how to section and there are all the procedures on replacing these. Other wise check around for a more competitive price.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Aug 2012, 05:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
She has been useing a used part for 95k. Replace the clock spring.

Far as the rest as Badglas is right parts pretty cheep. Look in the how to section and there are all the procedures on replacing these. Other wise check around for a more competitive price.

This is why we have separate accounts, and she has her car, I have mine.

She pays for hers and her repairs and I pay for mine.

If she wants new, she pays for it!
Old 30 Aug 2012, 05:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
This is why we have separate accounts, and she has her car, I have mine.

She pays for hers and her repairs and I pay for mine.

If she wants new, she pays for it!
LMAO!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Aug 2012, 05:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In my house transportation is my domain. I bring it home and she drives it. I fix it when it needs it, as I deem correct. She said (looking over my sholder on this) she is happy with that.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com