PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Codes, codes, codes... Desperately need engine light help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2012, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Codes, codes, codes... Desperately need engine light help...

I've searched around and finally registered because I can't find any one else who has had this problem.

Here's the story... About a month ago my brake light switch went out. Two weeks later my cooling fan burnt out. I replaced both and both work fine.

However my car is still throwing those codes up. I've unhooked the battery, one and both terminals, hit the brakes, flipped the ignition switch, turned on the lights, drained the positive cable by holding it against the neg, all with the battery unhooked and every time I hook the battery back up, for about a second the light is off, then pops back on.

I'm due for tags and emissions testing so I'm in a pickle. Didn't expect for this to be such an issue.

Any help or advice would be extremely appreciated. She's a 2003 non-turbo. Thanks all...
Old 31 Aug 2012, 01:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Codes, codes, codes... Desperately need engine light help...

Quote:
However my car is still throwing those codes up. I've unhooked the battery, one and both terminals, hit the brakes, flipped the ignition switch, turned on the lights, drained the positive cable by holding it against the neg, all with the battery unhooked and every time I hook the battery back up, for about a second the light is off, then pops back on.
Are you just turning the key to the on position or actually starting the car? Sorry its not clear in the above quote. If your just turning the key to the on position its doing what its supposed to. If your starting the car then, well, hmmmmm.....
What light is coming on, did you check for codes using the "Key Dance"? If so what codes came up? WE NEED DETAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 31 Aug 2012, 01:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

^^^ AGGREED
Old 31 Aug 2012, 01:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Neither one of those issues will cause a check engine light. So either you have a different issue or what was said above applies.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm turning the car all the way on. It will run for about a second before the engine light comes back on. When I do the key trick, the engine light blinks 10 times and stays lit on the 10th blink. I tried it 3 times to make sure I wasn't seeing it wrong.

Thanks for the quick replies.

The reason I assumed the cooling fan or the brake light switch was causing the problem is I took it to autozone to have the code read and that's what their little machine told us.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

the motor has been replaced in this car. I don't know why I didn't mention that in the first post. Sorry.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So sorry... Idiot check... I was watching the light, like on my old neon. The code that came up on the odometer was p 0481. I'll start googling.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here ya go....

Problem with Code P0481

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 03:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I checked my relay box to make sure everything was installed correct and found a wire running into one of the holes, under the relay. Someone wired the fan to a constant. Probably why my fan burnt out recently. Last time I'll ever pay to have work done on my car I could do myself. Pulled the wire, reset the ecm and no more light. Thanks for all the prompt replies and advice.
Old 01 Sep 2012, 07:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

I want to thank all you guys for this excellent resource for Cruiser owners. It's been very helpful to me.

I bought my Cruiser after it had sat on the lot for quite a while; that and the combination of crappy fuel occasionally makes the engine light come on. Thanks to the Error Code thread, I was able to get the code and find out what the problem was, and how to clear it.

Thanks again for this great resource!

Edited to add: Apparently, my Cruiser needs a new fuel injector for the #2 cylinder. The P0302 code kept coming up, and the dealership is going to try this fix. It's very intermittent, but hopefully this will take care of the problem.

Last edited by LegendGirl; 05 Sep 2012 at 08:20 am. Reason: Edited to add: