Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By XtrmDC2
  • 1 Post By Pipeous
  • 1 Post By Busa_Powered

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2012, 10:29 pm
Banned

Exclamation Dual Exhaust tips

How did you guys cut your rear bumper to accomodate the 2nd exhaust tip.

I am running a single 4 inch corsa tip now.

When I had my exhaust done on the 06 gt, they asked if I wanted to dual them, but noticed they would have to cut my lower rear bumper.

Not knowing the place I declined. Wasnt sure how clean it would look or if the paint would peel in that area.

Now I am always wondering what it could be like with duals....sigh
Old 01 Sep 2012, 11:08 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Dual Exhaust tips

I traced a template of the original cutout on a piece of cardboard , marked with a magic marker then I cut it using a pair of shears
CREWZIN likes this.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 06:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

did the same thing as Gus. Paint around the cut never cracked or peeled. Measured 3 times before cutting I was that nervous about cutting. Make sure you know exactly where the right tailpipe will be coming out so you can mark the center before cutting or the cut will be off center.

They used to sell a chrome trim piece that went around each cut to hide any imperfections but I can't find anyone selling them now.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Sep 2012 at 06:39 am.
Old 02 Sep 2012, 07:32 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I recently had duals installed on my Cruiszr that I had gotten off of ebay. They were Borla and came with a templete for the second tail pipe. I had a local muffler shop install them as I had no way to really lift the car to get underneath to install.

I asked what they did to avoid screwing up the opening and he told me that he would cut out the opening with a dremel tool smaller than the opening and then use a sanding disk to smooth up to the templete line. It made a very clean job, was very satified.

If you're interested, I still have a copy of the templete for cutting the second opening. If you would like it just let me know.

Here is a video of the duals installed on the car.

2008 Touring -9050 miles (Cash for Clunkers trade-in)
2008 Miata MX5 Vert. 30000 Mi
2000 Astro Con. Van. 58000 Mi (One owner)
2005 HD Sporster 1200, 8000 Mi
Old 02 Sep 2012, 09:56 am
Senior Cruiser

I made my second "cut out" for duals with a fine blade coping saw and a bottle of beer.

It was so long ago, I don't remember if a paper templet was supplied or if I simply made one from the driver's side. In any case, I carefully measured the distance from the lower corner of the bumper and cut slowly with gentle strokes with the saw blade teeth pointing in so the paint wouldn't chip. That cut the shape in a few short minutes. Then I finished my beer and wrapped fine sandpaper around the bottle and with a few light inward strokes, I dressed off any saw blade roughness.

You can also double check your measurements before you cut by measuring the center to center distance between the exhaust tips and comparing that to the templet on the bumper. Measure twice and cut once, not the other way around. Don't be timid. You don't have to be an experienced bodyman to do this.

Edit: Those chrome trim pieces that Cruizin mentioned only fit the non-turbos. They didn't work for the GTs which have a slightly larger cut out shape.

Last edited by 2step; 02 Sep 2012 at 10:00 am. Reason: More info
Old 02 Sep 2012, 02:53 pm
Banned

Thanks for the info!

I am either doing the duals first or replacing the stock speakers first.

Not sure

Anyone notice a exhaust sound change, I have the same setup(minus the duals) as xtrmdc2, so not sure if there would be a sound change going from a single tip to dual
Old 02 Sep 2012, 03:07 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Thanks for the info!

I am either doing the duals first or replacing the stock speakers first.

Not sure

Anyone notice a exhaust sound change, I have the same setup(minus the duals) as xtrmdc2, so not sure if there would be a sound change going from a single tip to dual
Do you have a 3" downpipe, O2 housing and exhaust?
Old 02 Sep 2012, 03:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous

I had my exhaust custom made and they cut it out before painting to make it easy. I did all the crap in one shot. can't believe I spent so much on a car in one shot right after I bought it lol
XtrmDC2 likes this.
The Mean Tangerine: Pteazer Smoothie front fascia, Roadster grill, and Retro real roll pan, dual exhaust, 17" Momo wheels, Eibach lowering kit, 2005 intake, bov, 5 speed manual tranny, painted door pillars, altezza tail lights, hurst short shift kit, hard pipes, halo fog lights and stage 1 computer and injectors
Old 02 Sep 2012, 04:10 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Do you have a 3" downpipe, O2 housing and exhaust?

Yes except I still have a cat, gutted cat, but it passes the visual state inspection.

Also have a 3 inch charge pipe as well.
XtrmDC2 likes this.

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 02 Sep 2012 at 04:12 pm.