PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mopar battery

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2012, 08:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Mopar battery

Well, my PT is only 4 years old and has been through 2 Mopar batteries.
Rather than go that route again, and despite the fact that I have some residual left on the battery value, I chose to switch over to DieHard. I've been using Sears batteries for my Buick for over a decade, and I've been very happy with their battery service (I never use them for anything else).

Anybody else have problems with Mopar batteries

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790

Last edited by vtmdsm27; 04 Sep 2012 at 08:24 pm.
Old 04 Sep 2012, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mopar battery

Very seldom is it the batteries fault for not being able to go its expected life. Generally speaking if the battery performs correctly in the first month in use it should last at least close to its month usage rating. You can find the date code by a small sticker on the side not top of the battery. The term coined I believe by **DieHard "maintenance free" did the battery industry an injustice. There is NO such thing as a maintenance free battery. This national ad campaign was geared to the introduction of the battery that did not need to have fluids added during its life in use. If you are getting less then the life expectancy from your Automotive battery there is some maintenance that is not being done or a flaw of sorts in the charging system.

** I am not 100% sure the origin phrase of "maintenance free" I could not find reference to it in my short search. It is therfore a guess on my part based on memory of when I recall hearing the ads for the first time. If someone finds that I am mistaken please post the correct facts.
wwpptc and Busted_PT like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 04 Sep 2012 at 08:38 pm.
Old 05 Sep 2012, 06:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

I used to be a Diehard fan, and when my battery was a few years old, I just let Sears put in the new battery. The mechanic (wannabe), broke one of the two pins at the bottom of my air filrter box, while putting it back in. Also, no attempt was made at protecting the battery posts/clamps with any spray (or even those lousy felt pads). And the guy even threw away my battery blanket--which really does keep the battery cooler.

My wiring harness ended up being replaced--along with the battery, within a year. The corrosion was ridiculous. Also, I bought and installed a new battery thermo blanket (from the dealer).

I have several other cars where the battery posts and clamps never get corroded, so I was lax with my PT--but learned the hard way that PT's can corrode up a lot easier due to the air-box cover that I suspect traps the gasses longer than a fully exposed battery, like on other makes of cars.

Now, of course, I check my battery every few months. The CRC Battery Protectant spray, applied to the "clean" battery terminals and clamps, works wonders, too.

Tim
Old 05 Sep 2012, 06:35 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I use batteries from Advance Auto parts with 2 year warranty...I usually pay $50-$55 with coupons
Old 05 Sep 2012, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Mopar battery

Interstate batteries!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 05 Sep 2012, 08:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

I upgraded the wifes with Autozones 34R platinum (its an AGM battery that gets very good reviews and has 750CCA, 3 year free replacement warranty).

Drops right in after you trim the battery tray on the edge and fits like factory afterwards. Even the factory holder still works.

Old 05 Sep 2012, 08:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'm running a optima red top 5 year warrenty and have had not issues
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 05 Sep 2012, 08:57 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Very seldom is it the batteries fault for not being able to go its expected life. Generally speaking if the battery performs correctly in the first month in use it should last at least close to its month usage rating. You can find the date code by a small sticker on the side not top of the battery. The term coined I believe by **DieHard "maintenance free" did the battery industry an injustice. There is NO such thing as a maintenance free battery. This national ad campaign was geared to the introduction of the battery that did not need to have fluids added during its life in use. If you are getting less then the life expectancy from your Automotive battery there is some maintenance that is not being done or a flaw of sorts in the charging system.

** I am not 100% sure the origin phrase of "maintenance free" I could not find reference to it in my short search. It is therfore a guess on my part based on memory of when I recall hearing the ads for the first time. If someone finds that I am mistaken please post the correct facts.

What he said!

At this point, my battery is around seven years old. It's the same battery that 2step has in his PT. That does NOT make my N/A as fast as his AGP monster!

Please click below for two differant battery configurations.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 119.18 K&N Apollo intake & Braille.jpg (61.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 119.3 SNOW and K&N Apollo.jpg (96.1 KB, 23 views)
Motorhead likes this.

Last edited by wwpptc; 05 Sep 2012 at 09:05 pm.
Old 06 Sep 2012, 01:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
If you are getting less then the life expectancy from your Automotive battery there is some maintenance that is not being done or a flaw of sorts in the charging system.

Exactly.

No such thing as "maintenance free".
Old 06 Sep 2012, 01:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The original Mopar battery in my PT went 3 1/2 yrs. Four to five years is about typical. The vehicle had sat on the dealer's used car lot for many months probably with the battery not fully charged which can lead to sulphation which will shorten battery life.

Other than abuse, neglect, or a charging system problem, the biggest enemy of battery life is heat. For every 10C rise in temperature above 25C (77F), battery life is reduced by 1/2. btw...this is why there is a "blanket" on the battery...to insulate it from heat under the hood.
vtmdsm27 likes this.

Last edited by Carl48; 06 Sep 2012 at 01:24 pm.