PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery cables

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2012, 02:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Battery cables

Ok, as everyone knows Ive had an issue with the PT not starting from time to time, well did it again... just wiggled the wire going to the starter and it fires up .... I had to recrimp the batteru cable to the starter before as it was barely there and corroded. So, question is, do the parts store sell the wires in factory form or do I need to fabricate my own or buy them from the dealer? I am going to replace all the POS and NEG cables and install new style battery post clamps with the cam locks to get away from using tools to remove the battery. Thanks for any input on this... I am experienced with wiring as I used to wire machinery up to 440 volts, just wondering whats the best way to go is, as I thought to relocate the wires so they arent all clustered in the compartment around and under the battery/air box.
Old 05 Sep 2012, 09:10 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Battery cables

You can probably upgrade cheaper than you can purchase and replace with stock, OEM quality. I also know of many owners who haven't had corrosion problems like your's but for one reason or another they added additional, parallel cables "just to be sure".

I don't think either way is wrong. I just hope you get it all worked out and are Cruisin' down the highway.
Old 05 Sep 2012, 09:44 am
Senior Cruiser

OEM wiring can cost between $100 to $300 bucks, and the only difference is that the lengths are pre-cut for you as well as terminated.

Go for some thicker after-market stuff. If you're into audio, this would be the perfect time to do the 'big 3' upgrade.

I've always been partial to knukonceptz as far as mobile-audio wiring goes.
Old 05 Sep 2012, 09:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Upgraded mine with #4 AWG copper...used generic replacement cables from the auto parts store. Regrounded everything on the negative side as well...what a joke...they used a sheet metal screw right into the painted body. You won't have any trouble cleaning things up if you have done electrical work in the past. You will see a big improvement. btw...using felt washers (available at any auto parts store) under the battery posts help with the corrosion control.
Old 05 Sep 2012, 01:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah, I want to upgrade to a heavier wire, heat shrink the crimps to try and seal the wire ends and connections better ( may even try to solder them ) I am debating taking the starter out and replacing it, thought to have it tested but if I take it off I would really jus want to replace it instead of re-installing it? Like a waste of time really if I dont replace it? Im not too big on audio as Im nearly deaf anyways but I do need to do something with the factory radio as it does not get good reception anywhere? I do have a nice Kenwood but dont know if it will sound good with the factory speakers? Hmmmmm, any input....
Old 05 Sep 2012, 03:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Removing the starter is a bit of a pain so give it some thought before you proceed. There is a cast bracket of sorts (the repair manual calls it a structural collar...whatever that means???) on the engine below the starter that has to be removed before the starter can be dropped down and removed.
Old 05 Sep 2012, 06:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

As previously stated, the dealer charges a LOT of money for OEM cables and wires. If you know how to work with wire, do it yourself.

As far as the felt pads at the battery posts go, those things are not a good substitute for a good battery post and clamp battery protectant like CRC brand. It's a great product. Much better than Permatex, etc.

Also, I've heard that starter replacement is a very time consuming PITA. And I have not heard that many Cruisers on this forum have had to replace them. So why go to the trouble?

Tim
Badglas likes this.
Old 05 Sep 2012, 11:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
As previously stated, the dealer charges a LOT of money for OEM cables and wires. If you know how to work with wire, do it yourself.

As far as the felt pads at the battery posts go, those things are not a good substitute for a good battery post and clamp battery protectant like CRC brand. It's a great product. Much better than Permatex, etc.

Also, I've heard that starter replacement is a very time consuming PITA. And I have not heard that many Cruisers on this forum have had to replace them. So why go to the trouble?

Tim
Yes, I use the CRC red battery protectant spray as well as the battery cleaner, always did good for me, the felt pads dont do much as everything still corrodes anyways...lol
Ok, so I guess replacing the wires will be the best, hopefully its just that and the starter is good just with the wires being in fair shape it isnt getting the proper amperage to it ( old wire was fraying at the connector and I re-crimped it on after exposing new wire since the old end was oxidized really bad with alot of broken and frayed strands. Might be my project this weekend.
Old 06 Sep 2012, 12:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Not a big fan of the spray on red post protectant, corrosion can form unseen underneath a heavy coating of the stuff. The felt pads lightly soaked with light oil have worked well for me in the past...the corrosion is due to capillary action of the electrolyte being sucked out of the battery as a hairline gap forms between the case and the post...this especially occurs at the positive post as the positive post grows as the battery ages. The felt pad isolates the terminal from the leaking electrolyte. The terminals can be coated lightly with white lithium grease or petroleum jelly for additional protection...they remain visible and not covered up with some goop. Just my .02.
Old 06 Sep 2012, 07:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Carl, I found that spraying CRC on just the tops of the terminals and posts will create the very same hidden corrosion you spoke of. But the trick is to spray lightly at many angles to get the protectant "all up in there", so to speak. Two years ago I used this stuff and my battery posts and clamps are still protected.

Tim