PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Should I go choke him?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2012, 12:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Should I go choke him?

Ok, I fixed the battery cables today, well the past few days the radio has not been sounding well and not sounding like it is tuning in... Well I decided to pull it and see if the anntenna was connected....WHOA!!!!

The plug has been cut off at one point in time, I guess for an aftermarket system that this kid probly install ( hope he didnt do this to the Ram I traded)
Well apparently he just twisted the wires together, mostly with no tape or any protection at all, luckily it hasnt sat anything on fire ( I did smell electrical a few times since I got it ) Also the wires on the plug near the top of the dash was screwed up as well so I extended the wires and soldered them as well as heat shrinked them all... I was hoping that may have fixed the dash lights but unfortunately it didnt.
I just want to choke people who do stupid crap like this.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo510.jpg (80.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Photo511.jpg (77.9 KB, 41 views)
CREWZIN and rob342 like this.
Old 08 Sep 2012, 07:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Should I go choke him?

We say it time and time again. You never know what your getting with a used vehicle.
044400 likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Sep 2012, 07:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Wow, that's just dumb! The proper adapter harness to install an aftermarket radio is like ten bucks and involves no cutting of wires...
Glad you pulled it apart and fixed it properly, I bet it works great now.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 08 Sep 2012, 07:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonocativo View Post
Ok, I fixed the battery cables today, well the past few days the radio has not been sounding well and not sounding like it is tuning in... Well I decided to pull it and see if the anntenna was connected....WHOA!!!!

The plug has been cut off at one point in time, I guess for an aftermarket system that this kid probly install ( hope he didnt do this to the Ram I traded)
Well apparently he just twisted the wires together, mostly with no tape or any protection at all, luckily it hasnt sat anything on fire ( I did smell electrical a few times since I got it ) Also the wires on the plug near the top of the dash was screwed up as well so I extended the wires and soldered them as well as heat shrinked them all... I was hoping that may have fixed the dash lights but unfortunately it didnt.
I just want to choke people who do stupid crap like this.....
My vote is yes choke him!
OurPTGT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Sep 2012, 07:17 am
Veteran Cruiser

my car was previously owned my some computer nerd. when i got it there were metal rods pointing at my knees from some sort of keyboard tray. i found a 110v powerstrip under the passenger seat with the plug under the drivers seat. there was an extension cord running somewhere to the back. there are LEDs marked inverter. aftermarket cruise control was kinda there.. i cut out and removed as much of it as i could..

anyways, last week something hit my foot. it was a (4th)12v power port that was stuffed somewhere by the gas pedal. upon further investigation it appears three of the four accessory ports in my car were wired in by this guy. they're all chained together using these. its like one wire becomes two, becomes four, becomes eight. not as bad as what you found, but certainly not much better.

chicago and st. louis arent too far apart. i'll beat the kid if you choke my nerd.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sesf.JPG (55.0 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by rob342; 08 Sep 2012 at 07:22 am.
Old 08 Sep 2012, 10:11 am
Fanatic Cruiser

That's the thing about electrical...just because it "works" doesn't mean it is correct or even safe. Many homebrew or even so-called "professional" electrical jobs are just setting you up for a glitch or disaster somewhere down the road.

To the OP...if you know the kid, do some good and show him how to make a proper splice, it will make you feel better too.

Last edited by Carl48; 08 Sep 2012 at 10:23 am.
Old 08 Sep 2012, 10:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I still like the choke thing better!
rob342 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Sep 2012, 11:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes, the radio does work better now but still not the best, probly damaged from a short??? I dont really know him but have been in touch, when I ask if he did or know of this or that he denies it. Said the car came from an old lady so I assume he was the one thumping a radio/amp/subs in there, unless granny was a 1960's child? Who knows, it used and abused...lol
Old 08 Sep 2012, 11:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not worth choking a butt-muncher like that. He'll prolly want to take you to bed with him....lmao....
Old 09 Sep 2012, 02:15 am
Cool Cruiser

i thought i posted this eariler but it seems to have disapeared, anyway i always do work or mods thinking about how i would like to find them done if i was the next owner this is part of my latest mod the new wiring harness for my radio and bluetooth system . all neatly spliced and bundled with strips of tape