Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
my 05 2.2 crd ltd won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2012, 05:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default my 05 2.2 crd ltd won't start

Hi All im new here but this seems the best port of call with my problem.

I have a 2005 crd none turbo and it broke on me last night in the shopping carpark. It will not turn over at all i get the click but no turn over but i also get the main beam light on on the dash and the front fog lights come on as soon as i turn the key, there not turned on ????.

i sat waiting on the brakedown and he had no problems on his computer, we tried a jump start nothing agian he tried to get power direct to the starter but the lack of room he could not get to it. tried light tapping the starter nothing but a little shake of the wires we got a split second life.

i know it sound like a bad wire but checking today there fine, the car starts 1 turn of the key sweet as a nut when it dose fire up.

i only got going by bump starting it

any help please ?

Jimbob
Old 09 Sep 2012, 08:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: my 05 2.2 crd ltd won't start

Jimbob, Welcome to the forum.

98% of us on the forum are from the USA and they don't make the diesel engine here, but tat shouldn't matter with your problem. We do have a "Europe PT Forum" if you ever want to get in touch with others that have the CRD.

Now to your problem. On this side of the pond many many owners have a problem with the multi-function switch which is the stalk that controls the headlights and fog lights. You saying that the fogs come on as soon as you turn the key even though they aren't turned on, gives me the impression that you have the same problem. What happens is the internals of the switch burn out and when they do, the fogs come on and never shut off. They completely drain the battery enough so the starter won't work but some accessories still do.

Even though the jump start didn't work, sometimes the cables aren't making good contact. It happened to me with a jump when I unintentionally left the main lights on at work. Try the jump again and move the good cables around a it to make sure your making a good contact.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Sep 2012, 10:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the reply

just been going round the conections with wd40 cleand them still nothing but did find out how to get eror codes and its come up with p0703 and p1685

P1685....Smart Key Immobilizer Module has received an invalid key.. strange i have 2 sets of keys both dont work but this would stop me starting ????

P0703 Brake Switch Circuit Malfunction .. brakes working fine but this was changed way back looking at the service history also this would not stop the car starting ?

jimbob
Old 09 Sep 2012, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

First, both might be an old code, stored in the computer until reset. Reset by taking the negative battery cable off for about 5 minutes. Then see if the codes codes come back.

The only one that would do something is the P1685 but that would shut the engine down after running for about 3 seconds. Not your problem.

After saying that, you have a stick shift so maybe the other code for the brake switch could have an affect because in most cars, the brake pedal has to be pushed in for the car to start.

Only taking a guess here.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Sep 2012, 10:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobUK View Post
thanks for the reply

just been going round the conections with wd40 cleand them still nothing but did find out how to get eror codes and its come up with p0703 and p1685

P1685....Smart Key Immobilizer Module has received an invalid key.. strange i have 2 sets of keys both dont work but this would stop me starting ????

P0703 Brake Switch Circuit Malfunction .. brakes working fine but this was changed way back looking at the service history also this would not stop the car starting ?

jimbob
the smart key module harness could be gone. that would certainly stop you from starting the car. its meant to keep theves from stealing the vehicle, and if it believes that your key is incorrect..........it will not allow the vehicle to start.
Old 09 Sep 2012, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
the smart key module harness could be gone. that would certainly stop you from starting the car. its meant to keep theves from stealing the vehicle, and if it believes that your key is incorrect..........it will not allow the vehicle to start.
As I said above, in at least the 2001 (owners manual). Quote: "The Sentry Key Immobilizer System prevents unauthorized operation of the vehicle by disabling the engine. The system will shut the engine off after 2 seconds of running if an invalid key is used to start the vehicle."

It WILL allow the engine to start.

UNLESS we're talking about two different parts.

Old 09 Sep 2012, 10:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

ive had it disconected and both codes are still there the p1685 does make sence. but there both the factory set also i can get the car to start with a bump start and still run ? just got hold of a charger ill give that a try.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 06:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Still nothing but ill try bridge out the clutch switch tonight could be as simple as a faulty switch ?