Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
a/c blower fan issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2012, 07:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default a/c blower fan issue

Hi all, it's been awhile since I posted, everything has been working good. Yesterday I turned my a/c on and the blower motor won't work on speed 3. It is like this on a/c and heat. It works fine on 1, 2 and 4 but nothing on 3. I thought maybe blower resistor but I thought when that goes bad it will only run on high(4). Any ideas? Going on vacation in 2 weeks and want to fix this before I go. Thanks, Rick
Got Vinyl? 03 Touring Electric Blue, 17" HD Cool Down rims, Tinted Windows, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit with XM Satellite radio, 6 3/4 Infinity Kappa Component Speakers in front doors, 6x8 Infinity Kappa 2 way speakers in rear pillars, Infinity 475a amp, Custom under seat 8 inch Kicker CompVT sub with zx200.2 Kicker amp and SSL 2 farad capacitor.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 07:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: a/c blower fan issue

I agree it is probably the blower motor resistor. They are made where the voltage is changed through a series of resistors for each fan speed. So you can lose one speed but still work on the others. Fairly easy to change and they are pretty cheap.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 09:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Fan schematic.....

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 10:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Ray and Crewzin!!! I will pick one up asap. This is a great forum. I have never been let down here. You all always come up with the answers I need. I'm lucky to be a part of 2 great forums, this one and the AudioKarma forum for my vintage turntables and audio gear questions. Couldn't ask for nicer people than are in both of these forums. Thanks again, Rick
Got Vinyl? 03 Touring Electric Blue, 17" HD Cool Down rims, Tinted Windows, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit with XM Satellite radio, 6 3/4 Infinity Kappa Component Speakers in front doors, 6x8 Infinity Kappa 2 way speakers in rear pillars, Infinity 475a amp, Custom under seat 8 inch Kicker CompVT sub with zx200.2 Kicker amp and SSL 2 farad capacitor.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 10:47 am
Senior Cruiser

You are very welcome. You get to it under the cowling on the passenger side. From what I have read it is pretty easy to do.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 06:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Bad? it still works on the other three speeds!

Seriously, I grabbed a connector for someone who never picked it up, if you end up needing it.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 07:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

So maybe I am looking at this wrong. I thought the blower motor resistor had a separate thickness of wire for each speed but high. When that particular wire burns up you lose that speed but the other speeds will continue to work. Is that not how it works? I am much more familiar with GM's and that is how they work. They fail all the time this way.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 08:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
So maybe I am looking at this wrong. I thought the blower motor resistor had a separate thickness of wire for each speed but high. When that particular wire burns up you lose that speed but the other speeds will continue to work. Is that not how it works? I am much more familiar with GM's and that is how they work. They fail all the time this way.
Hey Ray. I don't think you are looking at it wrong. I'm not sure what GM vehicle you are familiar with, but I'm guessing that blower speed was controlled on the B+ side of the system.

If you look closely at the schematic CREWZIN posted you will see that the blower speed control is on the ground side of the motor. Speeds 1 thru 3 pass through the resistor block, high speed does not.

You were right all along!

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 15 Sep 2012, 07:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, I pulled the cowl screen off and found the resistor. I haven't picked up a new one yet as I wanted to chesk the connector first. I wiggled it around a bit and the 3rd position started to work, yay!! Unfortunately now the first speed does not work, boo! I guess I need to go pick up a new resistor. Question is how does the resistor actually come out? I didn;t see any screws but I did see what looks like 2 rivets. The whole assy feels kinda loose though. Does it just pull out? I don;t want to try to yank it out and mess things up worse.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 10:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would buy the new one and see if you can tell from the new one how the old one comes out.