Advertisements
Advice on Purchase - 2006 PT Cruiser

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2012, 12:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Advice on Purchase - 2006 PT Cruiser

We need to purchase another vehicle as the transmission went out on our other one - 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. We are looking at a 2006 PT Cruiser. I am not that familiar with these and have been trying to find out information. This one has 86,327 miles. The Carfax shows four owners; however, after looking at the report, it looks like two of the owners were dealers. The Carfax is clean - no accidents, etc. The sticker price is $6900 (Carfax shows the car estimated retail to be $6,871 (assuming I chose the correct options, etc.). Is this a good deal? How reliable are these vehicles? What can I expect as far as the cost of routine maintenance? Given the mileage, at what point will I start seeing major repairs needed - transmission, A/C, etc.?
Old 13 Sep 2012, 12:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Advice on Purchase - 2006 PT Cruiser

you will need major repair right away. the timing belt breaks on these ~90-100k miles (like clockwork) and it costs 800-1500 to have fixed. other than that you should be good. maybe you can use this info as a bargaining chip? (or have them change it first)

Last edited by rob342; 13 Sep 2012 at 01:01 pm.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 01:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Definitely have them do the timing belt, exactly what I did when I bought mine and am very glad I did... As for the car.. like any, make sure you give it a thorough inspection... get it on a hoist and look good for signs of illness and injury.Just because no collisions are reported, doesn't mean it hasn't kissed a hundred curbs in 6 years
... I like to place cardboard under my prospect for a couple hours... the drips are obvious..Your fluids all best be clean and burn free and the proper colour.
Brakes? get them looked at, here in Ontario, a car can pass safety and the brakes still need to be done in no time. same with tires, lots of good tread, and watch for brutal scuffs,wear,bulges and nicks... much like middle age in any of us, except for the Sheriff... his clean living is legendary.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 01:59 pm
Banned

I would keep looking

There are tons of them out there

My wife bought an 07 with 37k on it for 8k last year.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 09:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Ask them for an AutoCheck report as well. They're the same kind of report but they can have very different information in them.

Generally, Carfax differentiates between owners and dealers. What makes you say two of the owners were dealers? Carfax calculates owners by title changes, and occasionally someone might add a name or remove a second name and get a new title, and Carfax mistakenly reports it as a new owner, so it dones't necessarily have four different owners.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i drive a 06 na and i love mine but the timing belt water pump and the ideler tensioner pullys are what is waiting for you in a short amount of time if they will work with you then its not bad if not walk away there were a zillion of them made

also if MPGs are you concern you are looking at the 20-23 range
Old 14 Sep 2012, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Advice on Purchase - 2006 PT Cruiser

Agree with all the above posts....especially "look around" for a better buy.
With the economy, that shouldn't be a big problem.
I actually bought a black & tan 2006 GT vert a few years back on eBay.
Flew out to CA to see it....and drove it home!
Actually....I was really suprised and pleased with the Bay deal.
Whoda thought?
Traded it 2 years ago for the last model - Couture. Got $10K in trade at 45K.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 15 Sep 2012, 03:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

I don't know where you live but I will sell you my 2006 auto trans showcar with only 30K on it for $6500. Check out the pics in my photo album. I drive it almost every day but do enter it in car shows. The wife wants me to buy a new Toyota.
rob342 likes this.