Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
tail light fitting clips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2012, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default tail light fitting clips?

Hi, couldn't find this anywhere else else, so I thought I'd ask here.

I had to replace my rear brake lights recently as both had gone. Thought it'd be easy enough to do, which it would've done, except the folded and threaded metal clips that the fastening bolts fitted into had both rusted solid and disintegrated when i undid them. I did eventually get the tail lights out (through a bit of body work bending, and then had to cut the rusted bolts out of the light fittings so I could put a new nut and bolt in)

Anyway, the lights are back on the car, though the nuts I used will likely slip when I undo do them again.

Does anybody know where new metal clips can be found? I'm sure I can't be the only one with this problem.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 08:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: tail light fitting clips?

I've got after-market tails, Bermuda Blacks, on my PT and they fit too loose. I'm going to build some custom clips that will keep them on there tighter. When I get done with them, I'll post to you. I'll see if I can make two sets. Instead of a single clip, I'm going to make a spread-clip that allows it to hook into place more reasonably. If the weather is good this weekend, I may try doing it then.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 08:48 pm
Banned

Default Re: tail light fitting clips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddyh0t22crd View Post
Hi, couldn't find this anywhere else else, so I thought I'd ask here.

I had to replace my rear brake lights recently as both had gone. Thought it'd be easy enough to do, which it would've done, except the folded and threaded metal clips that the fastening bolts fitted into had both rusted solid and disintegrated when i undid them. I did eventually get the tail lights out (through a bit of body work bending, and then had to cut the rusted bolts out of the light fittings so I could put a new nut and bolt in)

Anyway, the lights are back on the car, though the nuts I used will likely slip when I undo do them again.

Does anybody know where new metal clips can be found? I'm sure I can't be the only one with this problem.

First, YES, you are the first person that I have heard this particular problem from If you're talking about the body clips that the single screw on the bottom that locks in the tail lights, then that would be either a dealer item or a junk yard purchase. If I remember correctly, they are simply a typical body clip that is attached to the outter portion of the bodies tail light opening. Your local parts department should stock them.

As far as the spring clips that are permanently attached to the tail lights themselves, they can be easily adjusted by opening or closing the size of the opening on the clip. If you have an aftermarket tail light that doesn't respond to this type of adustment method, then you can apply "storm door" sealing tape to firm up the fit. Its black and is barely noticable after the light is reinstalled. The tape is cheap and also has the added benefit of sealing the tail lights from external water intrusion. I used this method successfully on my TYC "cats-eye" tail lights. The local owner that I later sold the lights to liked the idea so much, he attached his in the same manner.

Lastly, you've got a 2002 crd 2.2 PT (England?) with over 90,000 miles on it. That means you're probably driving the PT in a humid, wet envirnment. Any automobile that old with that many miles will have some rust here & there, some nuts & bolts that loosen grudgingly, etc., etc, etc. unless you have kept it in a hermetically sealed environment all these years.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 13 Sep 2012 at 09:02 pm.

Tags
lights nuts bolts rust