Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My First PT which one should I get ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Sep 2012, 02:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default My First PT which one should I get ?

Hi again everyone. So I ve been surfing the web like a madman the last weeks since I decided to buy myself my first PT Cruiser. But who is to know better about PT's than the actual owners and enthusiasts. Out of all the cars I ve seen I ve narrowed them down to those 3 models. And I would really appreciate any comments regarding the better suggestion.

2005 . 2.4 Diesel CRD Classic with 70000 miles.
2004 2.5 Diesel CRD Classic with 85000 miles. (* I havent been able to find a reference somewhere about a 2.5 Diesel engine I think the dealer might have it wrong there. )

2002 2.0 petrol Street Cruiser Limited with 50000 miles. My personal favourite although its the oldest of all but it looks nice and the owner was a real fan and has kept the car in an amazing condition better than the other 2. He is selling cause he bought the new one. The other 2 PT's are in good condition but not as good as the Street Cruiser.

Cant wait to see what you guys think. !
Old 14 Sep 2012, 02:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: My First PT which one should I get ?

I would say it all depends on what you are planning to do with it. If you're looking to get horse power you want to look into a GT. If you like alot of HP then make sure you get a stick. If you're just into the car then get what fits you best. You won't be diapointed. I put these cars off for a long time, now that I have my 03 Dream Cruiser I wish I would have gotten one sooner. Tons of fun. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 03:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

No I am not Looking for HP. All I want is reliability , and that it will serve me well for many years. Thats all I am asking from it. And of course as less problems as possible.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 07:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

RocknRolla,

They don't sell the diesel engine in the USA. So, as far as reliability goes, you might ask some of the owners of PT's in our Europe PT Forum which is another section of this forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 09:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Ask the dealers to verify the engines. According to Chrysler, the only diesel available in those years was a 2.2. The 2.4 was not diesel and there was never a 2.5. As Crewzin said, they were never available here in the states, though, so have your dealers verify.

We also don't have the 2.0! We're very limited over here!
Old 14 Sep 2012, 01:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

From what you wrote here, the last choice, 2002 who's owner took care of it, may be a good choice, especially if it's in good shape and you have background on it. Interested to know which one you end up choosing.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 02:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hey, you're the guy from South Africa ? Didn 't know they have the diesels there. How are things over in South Africa when it comes to fuel prices ?

The 2,2 liter (there are no 2,4 or 2,5's) diesel is a Mercedes engine, which has allready been proven throughout time. So you can assume it's reliable. But, as with all PT Cruisers, there are issues with it too. I don 't know which ones, but there are less problems with the diesel than with the 2,0 and 2,4 petrol engines.

Is Liqued Petrofied Gas (natural gas) an option in S-Africa ? I've got the system in mine cause LPG is much cheaper than gas or diesel.

So from your list I would most definitely choose the one with 50000 miles and well taken care of.
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 14 Sep 2012, 03:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Whichever one you like more :-D
Old 14 Sep 2012, 03:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

We just got ours a 2001 with 119000 miles on it very happy so far.

Yes you need to contact people over there that have those engine choices.

One point though, is that in general, if it's an over head cam motor you should plan on getting the Timing belt, tensioners and water pump changed ASAP, if the owner can't tell you when it was last done!
Old 18 Sep 2012, 10:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
Ask the dealers to verify the engines. According to Chrysler, the only diesel available in those years was a 2.2. The 2.4 was not diesel and there was never a 2.5. As Crewzin said, they were never available here in the states, though, so have your dealers verify.

We also don't have the 2.0! We're very limited over here!
That's what I was thinking - 2.2 diesel only.
It's a Mercedes unit, pretty good, some reports of intercooler hose coming off causing loss of power.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles