Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil pan drain bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2012, 03:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Oil pan drain bolt

Well first oil change since buying 03 gt and the dummies at the dealership I bought it tightened the oil drain bolt so tight I cannot get it off. Head of the bolt is so soft its rounded off now. Tried a chisel on the edge and that hasnt loosened it either and yes I am going the right direction. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 04:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Oil pan drain bolt

use vise-grips. make sure it's a decent pliers and not some cheap wiggly junk. make sure it's clamped as tight as possible and tap on the visegrip handle with a hammer as you pull hard. i recommend you go buy a new oil drain plug before you take the old one out.

or, go get the oil changed at the dealer and let them deal with it. if you do this, smear some engine dirt on it so it doesn't look like you ruined the bolt.

in the future make sure you only use the box end of the wrench(6 point, not 12) as the open ends of the wrenches will spread and do this. those bolts are NOT soft.

Last edited by rob342; 15 Sep 2012 at 04:20 pm.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 04:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Vice grips did it. Luckily I had a good pair of craftsman and big hammer. Dude must of put it on with a air rachet because it was freakin tight. Thanks for the help. ..............Matthew
Old 15 Sep 2012, 04:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I had the same issue with my first oil change in my PT.
After trying and nothing worked, I sprayed some PB Blaster Penetrating Catalist on the draining bolt. went had a cold beer, got back down.. and out it went.

The filter was a stuck in there pretty good too, got it all wrinkled up before it came out. Lol
Old 15 Sep 2012, 04:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

As far as being soft this one sure was. I think it was tore up from before or when he put it on because I had to tap the socket on so it would be straight on the bolt. Iam not a newb to working on cars but have never ran in to a drain bolt being so tight.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 04:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmadog View Post
As far as being soft this one sure was. I think it was tore up from before or when he put it on because I had to tap the socket on so it would be straight on the bolt. Iam not a newb to working on cars but have never ran in to a drain bolt being so tight.
Me neither.. And the filter attached to the oil cooler left very little room for my old school filter wrench.
I know better next time to get the proper tool.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 07:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like you lucked out--in that you didn't take away the soft threads of the oil pan when you finally got the bolt off.

My oil pan needed replacement as a result of an oil-change monkey who overtightened the drain bolt to the point that it stripped the threads of the oil pan when the bolt was removed.

So ... I got a Fumoto Quick-drain for the new oil pan. Tighten it to 18FT. Pounds--and never have another stripped oil pan again.

BTW, I have returned to changing my own oil now.

And a better tool than vice grips for removing a rounded bolt (like the drain bolt) is a kind of plumber's pipe wrench I own. It's not like a regular pipe wrench, in that it looks sort of like a Crescent wrench--but the more you turn it, the tighter it grips in the turning. Vice grips can slip--and the handles aren't always long enough to get good leverage. But this baby never lets me down. Of course, the bolt head is shot. But you wouldn't re-use it, anyway.

Tim
Old 15 Sep 2012, 07:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Sounds like you lucked out--in that you didn't take away the soft threads of the oil pan when you finally got the bolt off.

My oil pan needed replacement as a result of an oil-change monkey who overtightened the drain bolt to the point that it stripped the threads of the oil pan when the bolt was removed.

So ... I got a Fumoto Quick-drain for the new oil pan. Tighten it to 18FT. Pounds--and never have another stripped oil pan again.

BTW, I have returned to changing my own oil now.

And a better tool than vice grips for removing a rounded bolt (like the drain bolt) is a kind of plumber's pipe wrench I own. It's not like a regular pipe wrench, in that it looks sort of like a Crescent wrench--but the more you turn it, the tighter it grips in the turning. Vice grips can slip--and the handles aren't always long enough to get good leverage. But this baby never lets me down. Of course, the bolt head is shot. But you wouldn't re-use it, anyway.

Tim
How about a picture of that wrench. I'd like to have one in my bag of tricks!
Old 15 Sep 2012, 07:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Dewey, taking a pic and sending it is a PITA for me. However, I'll describe the wrench:

The head looks sort of like Channel Locks, but one of the sides that grip, curls over the other side. Also, it has only one handle (not two). I bought it about 30 years ago. The brand name is WEIL Adjustamatic, and it was intended as a pipe wrench that didn't require any adjustment (like normal pipe wrenches do).

You just slip the jaws over a pipe (or rounded off bolt or nut), and it grips tighter and tighter simply because the pushing action of the force you're applying, forces the jaws tighter together. You can even tape the handle with a hammer for really tight bolts. After the bolt is loose, to loosen the wrench, you simply push on a fulcrum point at the bottom of the larger jaw, and slip the wrench free.

You should be able to buy such a wrench at any tool retailer that has pipe wrenches. Hopefully, you'll be able to buy one, still. It's a lifesaver!

Tim
Old 15 Sep 2012, 07:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Replace the word "tape" in the post above with the word "tap".

Oops!

Tim