PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hello, possibly in the market for a PT GT

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2012, 07:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hello, possibly in the market for a PT GT

So I've had my eye on one of these for several years now. I always like the possibilities of essentially an SRT4 drivetrain in an inconspicuous PT Cruiser chassis, and I recently discovered that there is a turbo version that is not the GT trim level? It seems as if the ECU is the only difference between the two, correct? Meaning I could buy either version, put in a stage 1 ECU, and be at the same power?

Also, what should I look for when buying? There is a local GT 5 speed I might look at on Monday at a small stealership. I may take it for a test drive.

What kind of MPG are you guys seeing during normal driving, in the city and on the highway?
compdr59 likes this.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 08:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Hello, possibly in the market for a PT GT

Welcome, and the answer is yes. Stage 1 will bring a turbolite or GT to the same power level. The GT you are looking at would be the best option as it has the Getrag 5 speed which will hold up better than the rest.
I have an 03 GT 5 speed that is stage 1 and get an average of 22 mpg with mixed city and highway driving. Watch the mileage as they need a timing belt change around the 100K mark and can run $1200 to change at the dealer.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you. It's not surprising that a TBelt would run so much, seems like the last engine bay I would want to get that deep into lol. And that's good news with the GT, since they seem a lot more common in 5 speed than the limited turbo 5 speed model, which are rare enough as is.

Another question I have is the cargo capacity and interior flexibility. From what I've seen the rear seat can fold up towards the front, but can they also fold down or be quickly taken in/out? One reason I'm interested in these is the interior space that my Accord coupe lacks.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 09:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

the rear seats can be folded down as well. removing takes a bit of practice, but can be done easily. your looking at around 100 lbs for both.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 10:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
the rear seats can be folded down as well. removing takes a bit of practice, but can be done easily. your looking at around 100 lbs for both.
Sounds great. Another car I was looking at was the Matrix due to experience with the platform in Corolla form and the utility/economy of them and performance of the XRS, but if the PT can serve the same purposes I would prefer one of these since they seem to be considerably cheaper for decent mileage and are pretty cheap to modify.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 05:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Matrix is generic and bland... Go with the PT. Everyone here will most likely agree. L oL's and Lmfao's
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 07:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

i use mine as a work vehicle. i use it to deliver 4'x5' signs fairly easily. i sometimes fit an 8' ladder inside. i leave the rear seats out unless i'm picking someone up. when i went camping this year i left the seats out. i fit 2 bicycles, a tent, a raft, 2 suitcases, a large cooler, and still had plenty of room to spare.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 08:04 am
Senior Cruiser

I once even got the wife's mother in the back, thanks to a lot of semi-kind encouragement, a donut and a promise of a nice sharp new battle-axe.
xwing777 and Davey like this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 09:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_Bruiser View Post
And that's good news with the GT, since they seem a lot more common in 5 speed than the limited turbo 5 speed model, which are rare enough as is.
The low out put "Lite" was offered starting in '04 until '07 (or maybe '08?). It was only made with a non-Autostick automatic*, no 5-speeds. Some other "limits" were no rear disk brakes, 16" wheels and a 120mph speedo instead of the 140mph as in the GT.
The Stage 1 does bump the power up, though, to the same level as a GT with Stage 1.

*I believe there was a rear disk brake, extra cost option available for the Lite for some years, but not the same heavy duty pieces as the GT.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 07:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah all I could find locally in non-GT turbo is autotragic. No thanks, I'm a manual-only guy. Looks like GT for me. Found this locally 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Turbo - only 55k miles If it was a five speed I would have made a deposit already. That is a crackhead price and I'd almost be afraid to buy the car for that much. It looks mint and has low miles and every single option.