Advertisements
Removing Radiator Grill 2001 LTD

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2012, 10:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Removing Radiator Grill 2001 LTD

Hi,

I'm slowly looking at replacing my radiator fan assembly on a 2001 ltd PT following some instructions on this site but I'm stuck at removing the grill because I don't want to break it.

After the top bolts are removed is it supposed to just pull up and off? I read there was some "hooks" at the bottom? I gently lift up on it it but it's not coming right off.

Also any feedback on fan replacement is appreciated. I'm trying to remove it via "out the top" instructions.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Removing Radiator Grill 2001 LTD

Here's the instructions I put on the forum.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

The grill has 1 hook on each side plus a piece than fits into a slot (if I remember correctly), been a lot of years since I took it off, look at the picture of my 2001 in the instructions. After all the top bolts come off, pull the bottom half of the grill out carefully then lift up to get the hooks out.
P.S. I DID break one of my hooks taking it off. Be careful.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 10:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin, Thanks!

Yep, yours are the instructions I've printed out. I doing this slowly as to make sure I don't get in over my head.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 11:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Fuzzy, I just replaced mine yesterday. Crewzin always has great how to's. Just something I wanted to toss out there in case yours is like mine. I had mine replaced 18 months ago at a shop and they charged me over $500.00. Now yesterday I was driving and noticed the a/c wasn't cooling at red lights. A few minutes later while driving(on my street heading home luckily) the temp gauge was rising. I got home just before the needle pegged. Anyway - back to topic. My rad fan locked up. so I went and got a new assy. I replaced it, only took about an hour and that was taking my time. But here is the thing. After finishing up, the new one didn't work. Boy was I po'd. After a little thought I pulled the cover to the under hood fuse panel to check the relays. What I found was that when the old one locked it blew the green 40 amp mini fusible link for the rad fan. I pulled the one from the lighting circuit to try on the rad fan and on came the fan. Just something to keep in the back of your mind in case the new one does not come on. Good luck and have fun, it's really not too bad of a job. Rick
Got Vinyl? 03 Touring Electric Blue, 17" HD Cool Down rims, Tinted Windows, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP head unit with XM Satellite radio, 6 3/4 Infinity Kappa Component Speakers in front doors, 6x8 Infinity Kappa 2 way speakers in rear pillars, Infinity 475a amp, Custom under seat 8 inch Kicker CompVT sub with zx200.2 Kicker amp and SSL 2 farad capacitor.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 11:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for that feedback Rick! That's the price my mechanic was asking for. I looked at the fuses, it didn't look blown but I will check it again, and maybe just try another fuse to see. The mechanic said it wasn't fuses or relays.

Did you have to remove the bar that holds the radiator to tilt it forward or were you able to do it without moving the radiator? If you had to move it, is the "wrench/socket" to get to bolts on the radiator bar available at any hardware store?
Old 23 Sep 2012, 12:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Fuzzy,

If you look carefully at the instructions, one thing I added at the bottom was that some owners took out the battery and tray and brought the radiator fan assemble out the side. Stopped the instruction of taking off the radiator support.

The bolts that hold the support on are hard to get to but a wrench with built-in socket (ratcheting wrench) (10mm I think) made the job a heck of a lot easier. Not sure if you can rent/buy just one of those kinds of ractheting wrenches usually come in a set but I may be wrong.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Sep 2012 at 12:06 pm.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 12:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Fuzzy,

If you look carefully at the instructions, one thing I added at the bottom was that some owners took out the battery and tray and brought the radiator fan assemble out the side. Stopped the instruction of taking off the radiator support.
Okay, great. I did see that. I removed my battery and battery tray to look but it still looked like a tight squeeze because of the support braces underneath the tray.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDice View Post
Okay, great. I did see that. I removed my battery and battery tray to look but it still looked like a tight squeeze because of the support braces underneath the tray.
Might be, I didn't try it that way, just passing a long what others have done.

Old 23 Sep 2012, 12:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Those "hooks" that hold on the grille are a part of a heat-glued sort of bracket that's attached to the underside of the grille. If you break one or both, it's a long gluey process to fix.

So do this: After taking off the two top screws, you sort of lift up the top of the grille--while at the same time pulling the top of the grill toward you. You're actually lifting and pulling (tilting) to mimic the curved angle of the hooks. If you try to pull straight up, you'll just break one or both hooks eventually. Just pull up and tilt the top of the grille toward you--nice and easy.

Good luck.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 12:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for that, Tim.