Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Buuying a PT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Sep 2012, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Buuying a PT?

First off, I'm not 100% sure that this is the right place to be posting this, so if it isn't, please let me know.

My 1999 Cavalier doesn't really fit me any more so I've been looking at buying a used car. I'm really drawn to the PT aesthetically, but I'm hearing such mixed reviews about them. Online they seem to get solid reviews, but people I work with say that they're prone to engine problems. I'm going to be stuck with whatever car I buy for a while, and as I said, I really like the look and feel of the PT. It's a 2006 with 60k miles. What are these cars really like (as far as mechanical problems) and should I be concerned with the year or mileage?

My Cavalier was sold to me by a friend so this is my first time really buying a car and I'm trying to research as much as possible. This seems like a knowledgeable place and I really appreciate any help I can get
Old 23 Sep 2012, 03:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Buuying a PT?

It sounds like a solid car. You should get a pre purchase inspection done. I think the fuel lines and power steering hoses need to be checked to make sure they are not rubbing on anything.

And I belive the Timing Belt, water pump tensioners is due on the PT at, about 100,000 miles?

You have awhile for that job yet.

Just for general information if your buying "any" car with a rubber timming belt and over 100,000 miles you should factor a new timing belt job into the equation!

We just got ours and we are very happy with it,only area that I thing you can find some fault with the PT, is the mileage! If you drive like a ah...well let's say grand ma? It' s probally OK but if you put your foot in it...it will cost you at the pump!

Gooo Mopar!

Last edited by Chip18sw; 23 Sep 2012 at 03:28 pm.