Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 Windshield question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2012, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 Windshield question

My mother owns a 2002 Cruiser. She recently (last week) had the windshield replaced at her home. After the installer left I arrived and went to check it out. What I found was that there are gaps on each side where the new windshield does not set against the seal. You can even see an opening into the frame of the windshield on each side. When driving down the highway you can feel air coming in from the between the underside of the headliner along the edge between the headliner and the top of the windshield. The company that installed it says it is the correct windshield. The original had the basic 6-8 inches of tint along the top. The new one has a blackened trim (tint?) around the whole windshield. Not sure if they offered different styles of windshields or if this is from another year, but something is not right. To me? Where there is "air" coming in will eventually be "water" coming in the first heavy rainfall we have. Does anyone have the answer? If you need more info leave a question here and I will reply. THANKS everyone.
Old 27 Sep 2012, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Windshield question

Sure sounds like they put the wrong windshield in. Can you get them to come back so you can show them the bad points like you just pointed out? Not sure if there's any differences in windshields but I would guess the only difference would be on a convertible which they didn't make until 2005.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Sep 2012, 01:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

you need to call, complain and have them redo it. they either didn't remove all the old urethane from the frame, didn't use enough urethane when reinstalling it, didn't align it properly, or didn't press it on hard enough when installing it(ASSuming it is in fact the correct glass).

my 2002 has a black area around the glass. i've had mine replaced and the new one is the same as the old one.

the top tint was most likely a dealer option or an aftermarket addition.
Old 27 Sep 2012, 01:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys. Indeed the guy is coming back this afternoon to check it out. Not sure if it will be the original installer from last week or a different loser. Just want to have my guns loaded when he comes back. My guess is that he will "attempt" to fill in those gaps with silicon or something (NOT going to happen) Just pisses me off that they would try to screw over my 68 year old mother.

Thanks again for the answers and advice.
Old 27 Sep 2012, 01:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

have another shop look @ at and see if they will give you a statement saying that it appears to be "shoty" workmanship. or find someone else with a PT cruiser and have them go to the installers with you and show the installer what it should look like

i fought for 2 weeks and had 3 peices of glass installed in my pt b4 i was happy.
Old 27 Sep 2012, 01:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I'm hoping that this doesn't take three tries. LOL This company offers a "lifetime" guarantee, so they should take some pride in their work. And yeah I told her she should take it to another shop and have them look at it and give her a written statement on just how bad the installation was. I guess she is hoping that they will make it right this time, if not we will prob proceed that way.

Also have another question. Perhaps I should start a new thread, but I'll see if you might know anything since you are a 2002 owner. My Mothers car has a crack in the dash from the left side of the glove box to the right side of the defrost vent. Then it continues from the left side of the defrost vent to the top side of the dash. The vent grill itself is shot and flaps around when defrost is on. Do you know of any aftermarket dash covers to cover this? Or any suggestions?

Thanks again.
Old 27 Sep 2012, 01:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Rob has the 2002 but he's off line right now. The forum has a lot of HOW TO's that explain how to remove and replace the top dash if your so inclined. You can find replacement top dash's on eBay or if that's not your way, there are aftermarket vendors that sell all kinds of dash pads to cover up the cracks and stop the sun from cracking it anymore.

Examples:

NEW Molded Dash Cover / Top Pad Cap / FOR 2001-2005 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER | eBay

New O.E.M 01-05 Chrysler PT Cruiser Dash Panel Pad Top / Taupe | eBay

2001-05 Chrysler PT Cruiser Dash cover mat,Dashmat | eBay

..and if you want to do-it-yourself

How do you remove the dash top panel?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Sep 2012, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey thanks again Bro. And nice looking cruiser man. LOVE the engine. LOL

Well Dudley Do Wrong is here to look at the windshield. I'll post on here if they get it corrected or not. Thanks for everything.
Old 27 Sep 2012, 03:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had a similar issue when they put a new windshield in my 2009. But on mine I had a huge gap on one side and nice and tight on the other. They had to install a new windshield and this time they made sure it was centered in the opening. Sounds like on yours they used the wrong windshield or something is different on 2002's.
Old 27 Sep 2012, 04:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Just had mine replaced about a month ago, and it is nice and tight all around.

It also has the upper blue tint, like the original, but also has a dot matrix design behind the mirror, which I did not expect but was happy with (helps hide my auto dim mirror wire).

Sometimes things work out the first time.... A REAL RARITY!!

Hope your mismatched glass gets straightened out. Actually sounds like it might of slid down.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice