PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Windows Won't Work

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Oct 2012, 11:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Windows Won't Work

Alright, I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping y'all can help me...

I have a 2007 cruiser, and she is my first car love.

Long story short: All four windows won't work. I've checked all the fuses, and they are all good. Removed the center bezel and removed the switch, checked the ground and power to the switch and it gets power, which led me to replace the switch. I replaced the switch today, and still nothing.

Here's the long version:
About four weeks ago she got warm on the last leg of a 150 mile journey. The check engine light never came on, and I noticed as soon as the gauge started going up out of the normal range and pulled over. Added water, and she made it safely the rest of the way. Once I got to my destination and she cooled down, I checked all of the fluids and the radiator and overflow were bone dry. Of course I filled it up, and proceded to drive about two miles before she was threatening over heating again. Thankfully she threw a code this time, the head gasket was the issue. So I spent 2.5 weeks removing basically everything under the hood to get to the head gasket. Replaced all the gaskets, and figured while I had everything out I would do some maintenance that was due as well. I replaced the timing belt (which was living hell to get the timing right) Replaced the pump, spark plugs, and a few other small things. I also cleaned everything and changed the oil after everything was running again. Took her on a short test drive, and it went well. Decided to take her for a 30 minute drive up a canyon and back around... figured hills and straight away would be a good test. I was real proud of myself for doing all of this with just the Hanes book and the internet... but THEN...
I went to pick up my niece from school, and before turning off the car I pushed both front windows down. Turned off the car and waited for her to get out of school. When I restarted it, NONE of the windows would work. SO...
I checked the fuses, which are all good. I then took the center bezel off and checked the power going to the switch, it has power. So I replaced the switch. And they still won't work. I read a few posts saying that unhooking the battery may reset the computer, so I unhooked it, waited ten minutes, re-hooked it and still nothing.
At this point I'm hoping someone has a suggestion that I haven't tried yet? Is there a circuit breaker that I've overlooked somewhere? Or a window regulator of some sort?? I'm gonna take the door panels off tomorrow, and poke around in there...
Any help will be SUPER appreciated!!
Old 02 Oct 2012, 12:08 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Windows Won't Work

how did you check the fuses? If it was just visual then you may not have seen it was bad. find out which fuse it is and swap it with another (same amp) and see if that works. I have seen fuses that are bad but look good.
Old 02 Oct 2012, 07:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I went over the pages of the 2006+ fuse and relays and couldn't find anything exactly matching the PWR WDO like it does in the 2001-05 cruisers. Ever since Chrysler went to the CAN BUS electrical system which ties things together, it's hard to find the exact fuse or relay of what your looking for. So the power windows could be tied with anything else. Check to make sure everything else is working like the radio, power outlets, rear window wiper etc. and double check all the fuses like needmoretoys suggested.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Oct 2012, 07:50 am
Senior Cruiser

You said you had power going to the switch so that should eliminate a fuse problem. My guess would be the TIPM has an issue.

The way it works is that it monitors the majority of electrical in the car. It won't turn on the circuit until it gets a signal saying everything is good. If there is an issue then it shuts down the circuit until the issue is fixed. The problem is on 2006 and 2007 models it won't reset.

If you don't get anywhere with your troubleshooting then you will have to take it to the dealer and see if they can reset it or update it. If not they will suggest a replacement which is very, very expensive.

Somebody on here the other day posted that rockauto.com has worked out a deal with Dorman where you can send in your TIPM and Dorman will rebuild it and send it back to you. I think the service was under $300 so that may be the way to go if it is determined it is bad.
Old 02 Oct 2012, 08:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
You said you had power going to the switch so that should eliminate a fuse problem. My guess would be the TIPM has an issue.

The way it works is that it monitors the majority of electrical in the car. It won't turn on the circuit until it gets a signal saying everything is good. If there is an issue then it shuts down the circuit until the issue is fixed. The problem is on 2006 and 2007 models it won't reset.

If you don't get anywhere with your troubleshooting then you will have to take it to the dealer and see if they can reset it or update it. If not they will suggest a replacement which is very, very expensive.

Somebody on here the other day posted that rockauto.com has worked out a deal with Dorman where you can send in your TIPM and Dorman will rebuild it and send it back to you. I think the service was under $300 so that may be the way to go if it is determined it is bad.

Can a used one work or is it ser# specific?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Oct 2012, 08:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Now that I do not know. I am just now learning about them. My daughter has a 2006 so I am trying to learn what I can in case I have issues with hers.

The reason i know how it works is that I had issues when I installed my factory sub in my 2009. One of the wires in the harness had came out of the plug and would cause the factory radio to not work. The clock would work but nothing else on the radio. The wire that had come loose was the Canbus wire so even though I had twelve volts at the stereo the Canbus wouldn't allow the device to come on.
Old 02 Oct 2012, 08:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Looks like it has to be flashed with the vehicle info.

UPDATE.. Totally Intergrated Power Module needed
Old 02 Oct 2012, 10:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I know all the fuses are good because I tested ALL of them with my multimeter. First tested just the one connected directly to the windows, then decided to simply test all of them since I was in there, and have spent almost a week trying to figure out this same issue. Which is also how I tested to be sure that I had ground and power going to the switch in the center bezel, which I did. That's why I thought it was simply the switch because it had power and ground but seemed to simply not be working. But replacing the switch with a $90 brand new one from the stealership didn't fix the issue. Hence why I'm headed into the doors today to see if there is a relay or breaker in there?
Everything else is working; radio, lights (interior & exterior), windshield wipers, etc. The only issue since the overhaul is the windows.

I've read a bit about the TIPM possibly being the issue in my model, I was just hoping someone would have a suggestion for a DIY before I head to the stealership. I've also read a lot that when it's the TIPM you have other issues that go along with it no? I have a scan tool, which I've read is all the dealership is gonna do is reset the TIPM with the scan tool? I will have to read the owners manual for it to see exactly what to do with it though. LOL I've only ever used it to grab the codes when something goes wrong.

Still crossing my fingers that there is an easy fix within the door panel

Last edited by yoursweetjenna; 02 Oct 2012 at 10:32 am.
Old 02 Oct 2012, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoursweetjenna View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys.
I know all the fuses are good because I tested ALL of them with my multimeter. First tested just the one connected directly to the windows, then decided to simply test all of them since I was in there, and have spent almost a week trying to figure out this same issue. Which is also how I tested to be sure that I had ground and power going to the switch in the center bezel, which I did. That's why I thought it was simply the switch because it had power and ground but seemed to simply not be working. But replacing the switch with a $90 brand new one from the stealership didn't fix the issue. Hence why I'm headed into the doors today to see if there is a relay or breaker in there?
Everything else is working; radio, lights (interior & exterior), windshield wipers, etc. The only issue since the overhaul is the windows.

I've read a bit about the TIPM possibly being the issue in my model, I was just hoping someone would have a suggestion for a DIY before I head to the stealership. I've also read a lot that when it's the TIPM you have other issues that go along with it no? I have a scan tool, which I've read is all the dealership is gonna do is reset the TIPM with the scan tool? I will have to read the owners manual for it to see exactly what to do with it though. LOL I've only ever used it to grab the codes when something goes wrong.

Still crossing my fingers that there is an easy fix within the door panel
Not if all 4 are affected.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Oct 2012, 11:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Not if all 4 are affected.
Boooooooo

I don't see anything in the drivers side door that would suggest something going wrong... and when I press on the switch it seems to not even to get the signal to try... FML it's gonna be the TIPM isn't it

I suppose I'll put her back together and head to the stealership...

Tags
help please, power windows