PT cruiser undercarriage question...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By rob342
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2012, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question PT cruiser undercarriage question...

HI everyone!

It's been awhile since I've posted, as my PT has been so good to me She has about 98k on her and aside from replacing a cam sensor, belts and battery, I've not had many problems...still can't figure out the a/c fan bit though.

Anyway, here's the scenario: Pulling into a parking lot - one unfamiliar to me - of a local restaurant. It's part of a little strip, of businesses, and it borders a recreational park.

That said, the initial entrance is concrete, but then becomes gravel (as this entrance goes between the park and the strip), I saw a puddle of water at the transition point from concrete to gravel...thought if I took my time she might be ok. I could not reverse out of it, into the street, so had to pull through. Only a loud mechanical clunk noise for the front and the rear, while pulling in - no scraping noises while while pulling in either. I immediately drove to the nearest parking space of the bldg, which, at this points a regular tar parking lot. I prayed about a million times and got on my knees to check under her......i didn't see any dripping (thinking and praying against an oil pan rupture or heaven only know what else) but nothing. I drove around the parking lot in the rear of the bldg, listening for any mechanical noises...nothing. So I drove her another couple of miles - nothing out of the ordinary, not engine light or oil alerts came on either. And when I pulled into my parking spot at home, I checked to see if there was a drip trail leading to my spot - nothing.

Question: I tried looking at pic of other pt cruiser undercarriages, and think the only area of concern wood be the bars extending between my wheels (sway bars????) Yes, very girly of me not to know, but I'm trying to learn more and more about with each new repair or concern. Do I need to be concerned?

Thx so much for any suggestions...D

'03 PT 2.4 Automatic Purple people-eater
Old 06 Oct 2012, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT cruiser undercarriage question...

Yes, the sway bar is pretty low and it could have been that. If I were you, take it to Midas, Minekee(sp) or any muffler shop and tell them what happened. They should put it up on the lift for free and do an inspection to see where you hit. Of course they are trying to sell parts and labor but you don't have to buy anything if you don't want to. It's part of their service to try and help/find anything that's wrong.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Oct 2012, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The place that is commonly hit with sub-framed vehicles is the area in the picture CREWZIN supplied that would be where the suspension sub-frame bolts to the body sub-frame at the rear. Because of how angles change with length this is the area that gets hit often and is usually over looked for signs of impacts. So you might have a look and see if you have a fresh scrapped area? This area is not critical if moderately damaged. Although technically it is possible to twist the whole body of the car but normally not likely.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 06 Oct 2012 at 03:44 pm. Reason: added pictures
Old 06 Oct 2012, 03:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

did it bottom out or just make a pop/clunk sound? my car does that sometimes. i also bottom out a lot and it's never broken anything. i mean i have driven diagonally down a steep grassy hill and scraped over a 10" curb into a parking lot without doing anything more than scraping the subframe a little. i would put off having it checked until next time you have your oil changed. nothing to be paranoid about.
mdskinner731 and NitroPT like this.

Last edited by rob342; 06 Oct 2012 at 03:51 pm.
Old 06 Oct 2012, 04:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

rob342...OMG the vision of you doing that...

cruserdad1976 and rob342 like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Oct 2012, 07:35 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
did it bottom out or just make a pop/clunk sound? my car does that sometimes. i also bottom out a lot and it's never broken anything. i mean i have driven diagonally down a steep grassy hill and scraped over a 10" curb into a parking lot without doing anything more than scraping the subframe a little. i would put off having it checked until next time you have your oil changed. nothing to be paranoid about.
Been there... done that... got the tee shirt... lol just this past weekend i was bee bopping around the woods @ the local boyscout camp with the car (im an assistant ranger i get to have fun lol) through the trails over small trees. i have to admit my car suprised the heck outta me. Cruiser91233 i highly doubt you did any damage, theyre pretty rugged.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 03:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The place that is commonly hit with sub-framed vehicles is the area in the picture ....bla bla bla...this is the area that gets hit often..bla bla bla ..r signs of impacts...bla bla...not critical if moderately damaged.

hmm.. i will see your blemish, and raise you a dent.

honestly, i don't think i did that. when you see it in person, it looks like someone put the jack there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (94.4 KB, 68 views)
NitroPT likes this.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 06:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

@Crewzin & Nitro....thanks for the information & photo's, she'll be due for an oil change soon anyway. But since my post, she's been fine...nothing to report thankfully, so I would say she's AOK it appears.

I swear if the fiancÚ would let me, I'd try to get under her and take a look myself, but no bueno

@Rob - just bottomed out & You are nuts...LOL (love the pic)!!

Tx so much!