Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just got a PT cruiser 2001 advice please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2012, 08:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Just got a PT cruiser 2001 advice please

Hi guys just bought a pt cruiser 2001 170000 miles from my dad here in the uk.

Was missing terribly juddery clunking, did oil change replaced brake pads, air filter oil filter, seems to go a lot better, management light was coming on on trip here but isnt any more, however,, the car seems to have issues when driving, almost like lack of power or like wrong gear selection, this happens at various times mainly when following another car or climbing a slight hill, maybe in 2nd which should be perfectly reasonable but the car judders and a clunking or knocking sound can be heard front passengers side,and the car seems to lack any oomph goes sluggish and jerky I change down a gear and can pull away slowly then up revs and car carries on ok, no management light comes on during these incidents, so I wondered if you guys have any suggestions?
I was possibly thinking a fuel issue maybe filter?? or exhaust/compression issue? but I am a mere baker so my ideas maybe way off point,
Id appreciate any input

thanks

Buster
Old 08 Oct 2012, 08:38 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Just got a PT cruiser 2001 advice please

Welcome from across the enormous pond..... there's plenty of folks here will be glad to help you..... my only question is whether your father likes you or not? LoL
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.

Last edited by Vlefaive; 08 Oct 2012 at 07:04 pm.
Old 08 Oct 2012, 08:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

lol well I paid pittance so he doesnt hate me I guess , 350 hard earned pounds but everything in the car is still working electric mirrors seats a/c and overall its great condition, I like the drive feels safe but could do without the jerkiness
Old 08 Oct 2012, 10:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

Did you do the key dance to see if there are any fault codes?
Old 08 Oct 2012, 02:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

just done that many thanks

2 codes P0301 cylinder 1 misfire

P1684 driver? and line what does this one mean??

im no mechanic lol are these easy to solve??

Buster
Old 08 Oct 2012, 05:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Good question. I'm no mechanic either. Maybe these two threads will help.

P1684 error code info: Error Code P1684

P0301 info: error code P0301
Old 09 Oct 2012, 05:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

many thanks cruiser lady most helpful

so only 1 code to worry about the misfire on cylinder 1

just done plugs so I guess leads are next to try, does anyone think the clunking when missing would be the engine mounts as I dont think these have been replaced?

Buster
Old 09 Oct 2012, 07:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, Leads (we call them plug wires) are crap from the factory. Get any name brand of leads - do not get the Mopar leads.
Gap plugs at 0.040.
Very likely the mounts are bad - they are usually replaced when the timing belt and water pump are replaced - which should be done at 100,000 miles.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles