Old 08 Oct 2012, 11:07 am
Young Cruiser

Default read codes? help

I got three codes.
P0218
P0714
P2074

It seem to be some sensor problems.
How much it will be to solve these problems.
Thank you.
Old 08 Oct 2012, 12:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: read codes? help

P0218 Transmission Fluid Overtemperature
P0714 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Intermittent
P2074-manifold Pressure/throttle Position Correlation

I would say the first two are related. How much to fix would depend on the extent of the problem and where you take it. Is this something you are looking to fix yourself or were you just wanting general info before taking it somewhere.
Old 08 Oct 2012, 06:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
P0218 Transmission Fluid Overtemperature
P0714 Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Intermittent
P2074-manifold Pressure/throttle Position Correlation

I would say the first two are related. How much to fix would depend on the extent of the problem and where you take it. Is this something you are looking to fix yourself or were you just wanting general info before taking it somewhere.
What is strange is there is no check engine light on but get three codes.
I want to fix it by myself but I do not know where is the problem from?
I think it will be very expensive if I take it to the dealer.
Is there anywhere else recommended?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Old 08 Oct 2012, 06:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When was the last time your tranny fluid was changed? Did they use the correct type of tranny fluid? Have you checked it to make sure it's full?

Those are the three starter questions for you. If it's been a while since the tranny fluid was changed, I'd get it changed now. Make darned certain that they use the appropriate ATF-4 tranny fluid, or it will cause you all sorts of problems. If it's low, it can cause your tranny to overheat. If the system is clogged due to old fluid, it can cause your tranny to overheat. Lots of things can cause these issues - and no, you will not see a check engine light for these faults.

Basically you need to fix the tranny issues first as they are likely to be adding to any other issues you may have. Always tackle one issue first, then you can go on to the next.

Now, my first suggestion to you is to check your tranny fluid. Have your transmission in Park or Neutral, start the motor and allow it at minimum 5 minutes to warm up. Your tranny fluid needs to be warm to read it properly. Also, your car has to be on a flat surface, or you'll read it wrong. Once it's warm, check the tranny fluid - while you have the stick out, get close to it and take a smell. If it just smells like tranny fluid (kind of a good smell to me, but then I'm a vehicle junky), then it's probably okay. Also, if the color is real dark, and it smells kind of burnt, BAD BAD BAD. If it's low, and it's been overheating, the fluid is likely to be burnt. It will darken if it's been a long time since it's been changed. Darken to a burnt red color, not the bright red.

Once you've determined if (a) it's not burnt, and (b) it's full, and (c) looks good, then the next thing to do is to disconnect your negative battery terminal for around 5 minutes. Engine off first. This will erase your trouble codes. While the neg term is disconnected, hop in and press on the brake a couple of times - this bleeds off any capacitance on the system, allowing the charge to draw down faster. After 5 minutes or so, reconnect the battery, start your motor and let it run for a minute or so, then shut it off and do the key-dance to see if you still have trouble codes listed.

These are just the start of troubleshooting steps for tranny problems. Also, these are just my suggestions, others may have more to say or may disagree, so follow my suggestions or not, that's up to you....
Old 08 Oct 2012, 06:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
When was the last time your tranny fluid was changed? Did they use the correct type of tranny fluid? Have you checked it to make sure it's full?

Those are the three starter questions for you. If it's been a while since the tranny fluid was changed, I'd get it changed now. Make darned certain that they use the appropriate ATF-4 tranny fluid, or it will cause you all sorts of problems. If it's low, it can cause your tranny to overheat. If the system is clogged due to old fluid, it can cause your tranny to overheat. Lots of things can cause these issues - and no, you will not see a check engine light for these faults.

Basically you need to fix the tranny issues first as they are likely to be adding to any other issues you may have. Always tackle one issue first, then you can go on to the next.

Now, my first suggestion to you is to check your tranny fluid. Have your transmission in Park or Neutral, start the motor and allow it at minimum 5 minutes to warm up. Your tranny fluid needs to be warm to read it properly. Also, your car has to be on a flat surface, or you'll read it wrong. Once it's warm, check the tranny fluid - while you have the stick out, get close to it and take a smell. If it just smells like tranny fluid (kind of a good smell to me, but then I'm a vehicle junky), then it's probably okay. Also, if the color is real dark, and it smells kind of burnt, BAD BAD BAD. If it's low, and it's been overheating, the fluid is likely to be burnt. It will darken if it's been a long time since it's been changed. Darken to a burnt red color, not the bright red.

Once you've determined if (a) it's not burnt, and (b) it's full, and (c) looks good, then the next thing to do is to disconnect your negative battery terminal for around 5 minutes. Engine off first. This will erase your trouble codes. While the neg term is disconnected, hop in and press on the brake a couple of times - this bleeds off any capacitance on the system, allowing the charge to draw down faster. After 5 minutes or so, reconnect the battery, start your motor and let it run for a minute or so, then shut it off and do the key-dance to see if you still have trouble codes listed.

These are just the start of troubleshooting steps for tranny problems. Also, these are just my suggestions, others may have more to say or may disagree, so follow my suggestions or not, that's up to you....
Thank you very much.
I think the transmission oil is OK, it is clean and in the middle of min/max.
I already erase the code and will see it if it will be back some days later.

And do you know the third code ?
May it be the sensor problem?
I think replace the sensor is the cheapest way.
Old 08 Oct 2012, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Could be the TPS, but truthfully, I'd wait before making a change. If the error is gone, then wait to see if it comes back. Most of these issues require a combined number of errors to occur in a given amount of time for that trouble code to even show up, so it may be okay. Again, there are so many things tied together that it could be somehow related to your tranny issues.

Now on troubleshooting the P2074 error code, go check out this thread: ERROR CODE P2074

Here's another suggestion on troubleshooting: Diagnostic Code P2074 on 2007 PT cruiser-can't find on OBD list. - FixYa

A couple of the main things that can cause this are vacuum line leaks, and/or your MAP sensor could be going bad. I'd follow the steps above for cleaning it up first, then trace out your vacuum lines. If you don't find any issues there and it doesn't clear the issue, then I'd say replace the MAP sensor.

I need to know the year and model of your PT to pull up the locations for the vac lines and MAP sensor... PM me that data and I'll see what I can find.

Last edited by Chromenut; 08 Oct 2012 at 07:11 pm.
Old 08 Oct 2012, 08:07 pm
Young Cruiser

OH
I seafoam the car last week, and I unplug the vacuum line to let the engine to suck the seafoam in.

May be in that time, the vacuum leak was detected and stored in the computer??
Thank you all.