Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT error code headache

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2012, 09:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT error code headache

I have a 05 PT Cruiser, just the basics with about 80,000, and have an error code headache. First error I got was P0303 - misfire in cylinder # 3. It was time for tune-up. Replaced the plugs, wires, and coil. Still the same issue. but now with some new error codes- P0138 and P0300. Not to sure what to do. Thinking it may be a fuel injector prob, but not sure. Please help!!!!
Old 10 Oct 2012, 07:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT error code headache

Hope you used a stock coil - aftermarket coils aren't good. If it isn't, put original coil back and see.
The O2 sensor is probably complaining because unburned fuel from misfire is lousing it up.
Is idle rough? If so, spray starting fluid along seams of intake manifold - if idle smooths out, it's a bad intake gasket (not a big deal).
Try some Lucas injection cleaner - it's like chicken soup - can't hurt.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Oct 2012, 12:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Check for vacuum leaks, first off. Vac leaks can result in a lean condition that will trip the P0300, and vac leaks are typically the easiest things to find. If you can't hear one, spray water and see if you notice a difference.

The next question is a pretty 'dumb' one, but.. did you attach the plug wires in the correct sequence when you replaced the wires and coil? If not, the car's firing at the wrong time and would absolutely cause the problems you're reporting.

Old 12 Oct 2012, 02:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did use an aftermarket coil, will change it to see if there is any difference this weekend. I have been hearing what seems to be a vacuum leak, the hissing noise. Should I look to change out the bad injector or the whole set?
Old 12 Oct 2012, 03:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

i wouldn't do the injector(s) until you see if the vacuum leak is the problem. fix that and everything might just be fine.

open the upper intake and make sure the gaskets seated properly. after the plug and wire replacement, one of the gaskets might not have seated correctly. just a thought.

Last edited by soyomb; 12 Oct 2012 at 03:21 pm.
Old 14 Oct 2012, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, put the sprayed starter fluid on the intake manifold and not change in running rough. I did change out aftermarket coil back to old original coil, that I kept. In addition, I checked all the hoses to make sure their screwed on tight, check the plug wires, checked the spark plugs on tight, and checked the firing order, too. All were good. I did re-gap the plugs from .40 to .50. It seems to be running smoother, but engine light will come on then go off again. I tried to get it to pop a code, but it wouldn't come up on the odometer. Going to try some fuel injector cleaner when I fill up. I this fixes it...
Old 14 Oct 2012, 05:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I changed the gap to .50 from some research on the net. Some say .45 and some say .50.
Old 13 Nov 2012, 06:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was having the same error code on my PT and was trying to get rid of themisfire in my 2006 2.4L, 3rd cylinder. Changed plugs (Champion double plats set @ .40) , new wires and coil (MSD). After changing everything there was no difference in the rough idle. While changing out everything noticed that there was no EGR Tube? Just a hole in the back of the upper intake where it should be! Could this be causing my rough idle and error code for the 3rd cylinder? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 13 Nov 2012, 07:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Chrysler did away with the EGR tube back in 2003. You should have that hole (where the tube was) plugged up. If it isn't plugged up and you can stick your finger into the hole all the way into the manifold, YES, that would be a problem.

You need to look all around the upper manifold, especially around the No#3 cylinder for any cracks or splits that would let air inside. You can spray a light coat of WD40 around that cylinder (also around the part where the upper cylinder meets the lower half). Do this while it's running and if the idle smooths out, there's a small crack somewhere. Next step, if you find nothing) is a compression check to see if cylinder No#3 is low compared to the others.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Nov 2012 at 07:34 am.
Old 14 Nov 2012, 05:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin will give that WD40 a try over the weekend!