Advertisements
When to use OEM vs. Aftermarket and Vise Versa

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2012, 06:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default When to use OEM vs. Aftermarket and Vise Versa

Hope you all are having a great day.

When should one use OEM parts and when is it okay to use aftermarket?

When reading various posts I see discussion of using OEM parts instead of Aftermarket. And in other posts I notice mention that it is okay to use aftermarket.

So...
  1. For what parts or components should OEM only be used?
  1. When is it okay to use aftermarket?

Thank you!
Cruisergirl1 likes this.

Last edited by CruiserLady; 10 Oct 2012 at 07:04 pm.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 07:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: When to use OEM vs. Aftermarket and Vise Versa

Hello gorgeous Dawn!

It really depends on what type of parts you're talking about. For instance, spark plugs, plug wires, headlight & fog light bulbs, brake pads, rotors, suspension, wheels...etc., those you can use after-market items. Most of the simple mods people do, like adding on chrome (gee, do I have any?? lol) are definitely after-market.

Now, when it comes to sensors, wiring, airbags, stuff like that, I'd stay with OEM. For cooling fans, you can go both ways. For AC components, it totally depends on what type and if it actually fits, it will work, whether OEM or not. Some electrical items, like TCM, PCM, I'd definitely stay OEM on those. Horn rings - stay OEM.

So realistically it depends on what components you're talking about replacing or adding on. I've added three horns on my PT, two chrome ones (hi & low-notes) plus a Badboy airhorn. Obviously after-market. On the '01-05 PT's, you can use a lot of after-market electrical components - stereo, lighting, etc. On the '06 and up, because of the CAN buss system, you still can use after-market items, but you can't connect up directly to the ignition system because it will throw the load off and the CAN buss will react negatively, so you put a relay inline and it solves that issue. The relay takes power directly from the battery, but switching from the ignition, and load goes back to the battery and not the CAN bus. Sometimes if you do take an electrical item off an '06 and up, it will cause a DTC error code, even though it's not really in error. All depends on what you're changing out.
PuterChickFL likes this.

Last edited by Chromenut; 10 Oct 2012 at 07:13 pm.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 07:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Hello gorgeous Dawn!
Awe shucks Chrome (((Blushing))) you're too kind.

Quote:
Most of the simple mods people do, like adding on chrome (gee, do I have any?? lol) are definitely after-market.
Chrome?? Where? lol

Quote:
Now, when it comes to sensors, wiring, airbags, stuff like that, I'd stay with OEM. For cooling fans, you can go both ways. For AC components, it totally depends on what type and if it actually fits, it will work, whether OEM or not. Some electrical items, like TCM, PCM, I'd definitely stay OEM on those. Horn rings - stay OEM.
The EGR valve I purchased earlier this summer looked like a piece of carp when comparing it to the old one removed. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Quote:
So realistically it depends on what components you're talking about replacing or adding on.
At the moment I don't have parts to purchase. However, I've been thinking about this for awhile and thought it would be better going forward to have the knowledge in advance of purchase. Plus, would like to help others out by this discussion.

I would love hearing from experiences. Pros and cons of purchases made. Maybe that applies more to buying aftermarket and later wishing you had purchased OEM.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 07:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MY OPINION - any sensors you replace should be OEM. Water pump and belt, same same. Also, personally, the EGR valve, I'd go OEM.

Here's one funny one for you - I replaced my windshield washer squirty thingys with aftermarket ones. They lasted exactly two months!!! Went back and bought the expensive OEM ones and they have lasted a year so far with no issues. lol
Old 11 Oct 2012, 03:43 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
MY OPINION - any sensors you replace should be OEM. Water pump and belt, same same. Also, personally, the EGR valve, I'd go OEM.

Here's one funny one for you - I replaced my windshield washer squirty thingys with aftermarket ones. They lasted exactly two months!!! Went back and bought the expensive OEM ones and they have lasted a year so far with no issues. lol
This is very good to know. I was ready to order my EGR from autozone. I will call the parts dept at my dealership instead
Old 11 Oct 2012, 05:03 am
Senior Cruiser

Chromenut is right but you also will be surprise knowing there are some aftermarket parts that are better than the factory parts. Like racing timing belts, suspension bushing, motor mounts, spark plug cables, spark plugs, etc. the factory spark plug cables are garbage!
Old 11 Oct 2012, 09:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Most important parts to stay w/OEM are ignition coil (if you ever need one) and sensors like cam or crank sensors.

Brake parts, belts, definitely ignition wires, go aftermarket - bear in mind there is a range in aftermarket - the lower end is often worse than OEM, but the pricier stuff will be better.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Oct 2012, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don and Rocketman are both correct!!! Course, they always are...lol...

Old 12 Oct 2012, 01:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Is the only place to buy OEM from the dealership?
Old 12 Oct 2012, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserLady View Post
Hope you all are having a great day.

When should one use OEM parts and when is it okay to use aftermarket?

When reading various posts I see discussion of using OEM parts instead of Aftermarket. And in other posts I notice mention that it is okay to use aftermarket.

So...
  1. For what parts or components should OEM only be used?
  1. When is it okay to use aftermarket?

Thank you!

A lot of people are going to come away from this thread getting information that is not exactly accurate.

The OEM vs aftermarket parts
At one time and many of you can remember the only reason we all had to go to a dealership for parts was those that we could not get from an auto parts store. Lets remember a few top quality aftermarket suppliers,i.e. NAPA brand parts STANDARD Blue streak, TRW, Sealed power, National/BCA etc. the list can be very long. So now enters worldwide market and now parts can be manufacture much cheaper. So the question is are aftermarket parts now cheaper in quality then OEM parts. Well it really is a crap shoot anymore. So frankly going to an aftermarket or a Dealer for an OEM part there is no guarantee of quality parts from either. And many OEM parts are now made in the same facilities as aftermarket using the same raw materials.

The best advice to anyone that is NOT in the Automotive Industry in any capacity is to make a friend with both your local dealership and after market local Auto parts business.
Find a Auto parts Technician with “credentials” like at least an ASE Certification in Auto Parts. This way you can talk with them and get the best part both quality and price for the repair that fits your need. You can even try to get US made parts if they are available?

Simply making a list of what to get OEM and what not to get aftermarket is just plain WRONG! The suppliers in both the OEM as well the aftermarket world’s changes constantly and what was the best way to shop and buy quality parts today may change next week.

PT Forum members or those new to the DIY world re-read my post and at least consider what I am saying rather then take the road of misguided information!

Sorry I know a few of you are thinking wtf but bring your PT by and I am sure I will find many good after market parts that have given good service with a normal life expectancy as any OEM part!
What a part looks like, where it was made, who is selling the part has nothing to do with its quality or function of the part.

The question about can you buy OEM outside the Dealership? Yes, but it depends on what the part is because some are TM, Patent or other protected OEM only sold parts. This is another reason having a good rapport with a good qualified aftermarket Parts person is in your interest.

Rebuttals are welcome but be prepared to answer technical question about your experience with your claimed failed OEM or aftermarket part.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 12 Oct 2012 at 10:14 am.