Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to remove driver's door?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2012, 11:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Default How to remove driver's door?

Could someone tell me how to remove the driver's side front door please.

Is there a document somewhere on how to do this?

Reason is I need to replace the hinges...although I suspect only the bottom one is defective. At the moment the door is "sagging".
Old 12 Oct 2012, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to remove driver's door?

The first thing you need to know is how to get to the plug for the wiring harness. Pull the the lower panel under the steering column out and down from the top of the panel. It will pop loose and hing down. Then you can see the screws that hold the lower outer panel of the dash. Remove these screws then pull the door weather strip off along the dash area and pull panel straight out towards the rear of the car. Then you can see the plug for the wiring harness for the door. Unplug this. This Is also how you will get to the upper hing bolt that goes from the inside out. The other one is behind the kick panel. The rest of the bolts have to be accessed through the door opening and through the finder well area.

If it's only sagging a little try this. Open the door fully and grab the door bottom with both hands on the inside and outer at the back end lean your shoulder into the end of the door and with your legs push straight up as hard as you can. Then check you alignment with the striker.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Oct 2012, 01:53 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Didnt think it would be so complex.

I haven't yet received the hinges but I decided to investigate...sort of test run.
I removed some trim to see what I was up against. In order to remove the bolt (see bolt pic) would I have to remove foil tape (see foil pic)?

I also took a pic of the hinge, as you can see its quite rusted. The hinge, part that is attached to door, is not snug around the pin on the bottom. There is a gap there...not sure if that might be the problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hinge.jpg (24.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Foil.jpg (17.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Bolt.jpg (88.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 14 Oct 2012, 08:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a 01 parts car that sat 4 years under a canopy of trees and they don't look like that. Guess you need to replace them. Getting them in the right place is a trial and error thing. Will want to paint them before you install. Going to be fun with the finder on installing these. If that foil is on just the opposite side of that hing then you will need to peal that back to gain access to that bolt. How much experience have you with taking cars apart and reinstalling them?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Oct 2012, 10:16 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
(...)Going to be fun with the finder on installing these. (...)How much experience have you with taking cars apart and reinstalling them?
The finder? Whats that?

Experience? None, this is my first car. Just starting to discover the world of detailing, mechanics and body work. But I think I'm quite capable with the right directions...I've always loved taking things apart. Plus I've done renovations...taking down walls, putting up walls, plastering, painting, fixing wood floors etc... You get the pic.

For realigning...couldn't I just mark their current location? I think they are good where they are. Just need to be replaced by sturdier/non rusted ones. Also, would I need to use a torque wrench on these?
Old 14 Oct 2012, 10:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace View Post
The finder? Whats that?

Experience? None, this is my first car. Just starting to discover the world of detailing, mechanics and body work. But I think I'm quite capable with the right directions...I've always loved taking things apart. Plus I've done renovations...taking down walls, putting up walls, plastering, painting, fixing wood floors etc... You get the pic.

For realigning...couldn't I just mark their current location? I think they are good where they are. Just need to be replaced by sturdier/non rusted ones. Also, would I need to use a torque wrench on these?
Torque wrench, no. Marking is crucial. Don't forget the catch, I always unbolt that first. After disconnecting the wiring harness and feeding it out of the hinge pillar. You will need to remove the finder liner and the foam dust seal from the rear of the finder and door opening. Now you can get to the bolts on the door itself. After you get those out you will have to push the door out past the fender enough to get a hold of the door edge and grab the door handle and unlatch the door and carefully pull towards you while supporting the weight remove the door out of the opening. I would recommend using duck tape along the panel edges to help avoid chipping the paint along the finder and door opening and rocker panel and lower door edge. Need to have a place to sit or lay the door in mind before you are standing there with it in your arms. Then you should be able to get to the bolts on the pillar side of the hinges.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Oct 2012, 11:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Sorry, you are getting too technical for me....don't know what you mean by finder and fender or which dust cover you are referring to :/

Anyhow, the hinges arrived finally.

So what I did was I disconnected the wire..fed it out the hole with door open of course. I removed the bolts retaining the black bar...is that the catch?? then i had a friend hold the door while I removed the bolts on the door side.

Then I was able to remove the bolts holding the hinges to the car.

The top hinge had 3 bolts, all facing out...bottom one had 2 out and 1 in...why did they place the bolt from the inside?? Other weird thing I noticed is the bottom hinge has a 3rd large square hole...directly to the right of the 2 out-facing bolts...and on the car there is a square "bump" that fits in there and so it "auto-aligns" the hinge. Do all pt cruisers have that?

Long story short...I did something wrong..the door is not quite right. At the top right it looks good/aligned but at the top left its not in line with hood, its more in...which is funny because at bottom right its more out/away from rocker panel. If i could push the bottom right more in then i think the top left would align with hood. The belt line/groove is aligned...so any suggestions on how i could correct this?? furthermore, when i push in the button to unlatch the door..i feel it slightly spring towards me...if that makes sense.same for closing..some light resistance, have to almost slam it shut

On the plus side, the door feels a lot more solid. no more sagging or "looseness"
Old 23 Oct 2012, 11:51 pm
Young Cruiser

pics of misalignment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bottomright-of-door.jpg (86.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg topleft-hoodndoor.jpg (90.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 23 Oct 2012, 11:54 pm
Young Cruiser

pics of new hinges..the hinges are green..just not same green alas..in the pics they show as blueish :/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bootom-hinge.jpg (80.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Top-hinge.jpg (83.0 KB, 18 views)