Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT with "issues"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2012, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT with "issues"

I just bought a 2002 PT last night with an automatic. I got it fairly cheap because it has some issues with it.

Here is what I found so far:

the check engine light...I put it on my scanner and it had the P0601 code come up.

It shifts hard, up or down. I can drive it but I have to two foot it or it stalls (noticed the cruise control light is on when this happens).

The front windows don't go down the drivers side won't go up.

Seemingly has a vibration on the driver's side as well at all speeds.

When I started checking out the car, I found there was a tab is missing on one of the computer plugs. Also, there is a wire hanging in the driver's side wheel well that just clips on to a round hole that has a plastic cover on it.

I'm suspecting the problem very well may be the computer but not sure. I have an appointment with the dealer a while from now but wanted to see if maybe something might be done ahead of time. I did pull the bolts that mount the computer to the firewall to take a look at it and noticed that it is a remanufactured unit. Could it be possible someone just swapped it and never got it reprogrammed?

Any help with any of this would be great

Thanks in advance
Old 12 Oct 2012, 04:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT with "issues"

Congratulations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprbeast View Post
I just bought a 2002 PT last night with an automatic. ...some issues with it...what I found so far:...P0601 code...It shifts hard...
See this: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0601 Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error

...the front windows don't go down the drivers side won't go up...
Clean, repair or replace. There is information on this forum.

...Also, there is a wire hanging in the driver's side wheel well that just clips on to a round hole that has a plastic cover on it...
On both sides, a ground wire from metal (with plastic cap) to strut.
There is much to learn, grasshopper.

...I did pull the bolts that mount the computer to the firewall to take a look at it and noticed that it is a remanufactured unit. Could it be possible someone just swapped it and never got it reprogrammed?..
Could Be, but more likely the other computer under the wheel well.

Thanks in advance
Thanks, but I didn't do anything.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 12 Oct 2012 at 04:34 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 13 Oct 2012, 03:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT with "issues"

I'll check out the other computer this morning. I remember reading somewhere about another computer there.

Oh, another problem I came across is that the shifter will move without having to press the brake down. You need to pull the button on the shift knob still, but it will move freely after that.