PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why is it En Vogue to hate the Cruiser these days?

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2012, 08:30 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Why is it En Vogue to hate the Cruiser these days?

My wife and I had some of the first 01's made; Cranberry and Patriot automatics. Other than being slow, I thought they were great. Everybody else did too. That was back when it was rare to see another Cruiser on the road.
As time went on we realized that with two infant kids, their car seats and all the other stuff they require, there wasn't much room (especially if you wanted to bring a friend). Wife traded hers for a Durango and I eventually traded mine for a Suburban. I hated to see them go, but we needed to be realisitic about our needs.
Time continued to march on and many cars came and went. The pinnacle for me was an 06 300 SRT. But, I ended up having to downgrade to free up some money and bought a Grand Cherokee. That started having problems and was hard to drive (gas mileage-wise and seating position, I'm 6'5"), so I had to find something economical that I could live with.
There was a great looking Cruiser at the local lot I passed every day and I finally decided to trade in the Cherokee for the Cruiser with an extended warranty that covers about everything for 4 years. Stepping back into this Cruiser I was instantly reminded about all the things I liked about the car. It seemed to me that a great deal of thought went into the design and build.

Anyway, I live in Oklahoma now and I see Cuisers everywhere, all the time. Most of them are trashed. They are also trashed talked. Everyone tells me about how much they hate Cruisers. What happed? Are they misunderstood? Did the build quality sink so low that they developed a bad reputation. It's like I just woke up from a coma.
Well I never really cared for the rednecks opinions anyway. I would probably be a little disturbed if they were saying, "Gee, mister I shore do like yor purdy automobile."
I like my Cruiser a lot. And given the perspective of all the cars I have owned since my first Cruiser, that says quite a bit. It does what its supposed to do, very well. It always did.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 08:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Why is it En Vogue to hate the Cruiser these days?

I feel you 100 %

Old 12 Oct 2012, 09:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Could it be jealousy? Who knows. It is a nice little SUV with a decent price. I've packed a lot of stuff in my little SUV.
mityqwik and Vlefaive like this.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 09:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

My footer spells out my feelings completely... Its been 5 years and I still love it..The power of the turbo on autostick is glorious... I drive a V8 Crown Vic at work.... and I promise you, power to weight is easily equivalent.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 10:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Did the quality decline? No, but unfortunately it did not improve either, just typical Chrysler issues.

The other thing that happened is that it started out as a unique "retro" car, but was never updated. Chrysler struggled with the problem of How do you Update a retro car? It is actually a very difficult problem to resolve, based on the initial retro look. An updated retro car is sort of an oxymoron; the concept does not make sense.

Plus a lot of folks who bought the car did it for the looks, then realized they were really driving a Neon which is one of the cheapest cars ever built.

So you have a 10-year run of pretty much the same body style, it just got tired and there were way to many of them around. My wife thinks I'm an idiot for buying one, she has no love for it at all. But she never liked my two Mustangs either, so much for that.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 10:35 pm
Banned

I get no love when I tell people I drive a pt cruiser.

I got that just today, " I don't see you as the type to drive one"

Then when they see it and hear it, they shut up.

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 12 Oct 2012 at 10:39 pm.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 10:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
I get no love when I tell people I drive a pt cruiser.

I got that just today, " I don't see you as the type to drive one"

Then when they see it and hear it, they shut up.
Id like to! Fill your gallery dude?
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 12 Oct 2012, 10:52 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I get a lot of "hate" too...specially when I leave them in the dust...btw, today's "hate" came from an idiot with a new Maxima 3.5L that tried to cut me off
Old 13 Oct 2012, 12:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Some of you know me by now! When my friends learned I own a PT Cruiser they laughed......but then it went to "oh shit"!

Auh huh!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Oct 2012, 02:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Hmm,well this is a broad question. But as a former outsider, I guess I'll take a stab. But first as to slow, mine is a stock 2001 Limited yes 0 to 60 and quarter mile times, it's not going to set any records but in the real world it has a nice power curve that puts the power where you need it. I have no problem keeping up with or passing traffic.

It will cruise at 70 all day with ease (and that's a problem here cause the speed limit is 45 60 35 45 55, yeah it's like that for 16 miles. They will write you for 72. I know.

So it's not slow when compared with regular cars. The Neon thing, I never knew about that myself and I know cars but they do make mention of it when you read the reviews.

I think it's kinda the looks that people either love or hate. It's sorta odd with 4 doors for a panel van. I think the Chevy HHR has a much cleaner look ie better execution.

Mostly I think the Retro look kind of dictated peoples perceptions of the PT.
It looked retro but not a retro muscle car but a retro panel van? So you would think slow, crappy handling,loud and a bad ride. That's what I always thought. I never drove one till we got ours.

And I always judge a car by steering feel, power band, brakes and handling. If it passes that I can give it a chance. Drove the PT, it passed that test easily, and from that point the goofy Retro thing kinda grew on me!

We've had ours a month or two now and it still puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it!

PPS Notice gas mileage is not on my list of must do well items!

Last edited by Chip18sw; 13 Oct 2012 at 02:24 am.