Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0420 code, Much needed help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2012, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy P0420 code, Much needed help!!

I have a 2006 touring edition PT cruiser with 108,000. My check engine light came on and I took it into orileys and the "P0420" code came up. I took it to get a diagnostic test and they gave me a huge list of things that need attending but that my main cause was the P0420 code. I've had the car for a month and I donít know what has/hasnít been changed. I also have no dealership warranty. So I feel like this is going to be expensive. I'm already overwhelmed. :|

I have been reading up on it and from what I understand itís pretty much my catalytic converter needs to be replaced or itís my 02 oxygen sensor. I want to know how can I tell which needs to be replaced? I have a muffler shop looking at it as we speak. I donít want to be taken for a fool. I understand more than likely they will say I need my whole catalytic converter replaced because itís the more expensive of the two.

Also, I have been experiencing problems when I'm idling. The car shakes and does like a "jump". When it does that my A/C gets hot. Once I resume driving my A/C gets cold again. The check engine light has never come on before until last week so I stopped driving it and took it in to get looked at.
Old 15 Oct 2012, 04:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0420 code, Much needed help!!

Something to read....

P0420--Cat efficiency low bank 1?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.