Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
heater blower problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Oct 2012, 11:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default heater blower problems

My wife's 2001 Limited Edition Cruiser is having problems with the heater blower fan working erratically. When cold, the blower really puts out the air but sometimes it slows more and more until it stops. Sometimes, turning the control right off for a minute will "reset" the blower and it will then work fine. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 02:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: heater blower problems

Might want ti check the intake under the passenger footwell. Mine did that till i found a piece of plastic getting sucked in there slowing airflow.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Now, THAT would explain a lot. Will have a go at that tomorrow and post the results here. Thanks for the tip!
Old 22 Oct 2012, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have another suggestion if you don't find anything. There's a low pressure switch on top of the accumulator (see pic) it's also called the recycling switch. This switch controls the on/off sequence of the compressor. You say it only does this when it's cold and your running the A/C. If that switch is malfunctioning, the compressor won't turn on and off like it's supposed to. It only stays ON. After awhile, things get so cold it freezes up and stops the flow of cold air into the cabin. The only way to unfreeze it is to shut it off (like your doing) so it can defrost or turn the control to heat ....not good in the summer. All it takes is to unscrew the old switch, screw in the new one and every things fine again. I know first hand and when putting in the new switch, there's a tiny "O" ring on the threads. Screw the new switch on too tight and the "O" ring splits. That's also happened when I replaced mine.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.