PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
two problems with my PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Oct 2012, 12:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default two problems with my PT

Problem 1:

Several weeks ago, the oil light came up, and key dance showed that the oil pressure sensor has some problem. I guess it's leaking and purchased a replacement from a dealer. I planned to replace the sensor myself, but don't have the time, so I let it be. The oil light light did not came up again. Now I still have the new sensor at hand, and will probably replace it when the light comes up again.

I am not concerned too much with this problem.

Problem 2:

It was cold a few days ago. In the morning, when I backed out from the driveway, I heard some grinding noise when the steering wheel was turned all the way to the right. I tried turning it to the left, it's quite. It happened two days back to back, but never again.

I know the steering system of PT is not very strong, and am very concerned with it. Is there any precautious measure I should take before anything serious happens?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 01:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: two problems with my PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb View Post
Problem 2:

Is there any precautious measure I should take before anything serious happens?
1- Slide under your PT and check the CV joint boot covers.
If one is torn open, have it replaced asap.

2-Get under your hood and check the power steering fluid level
If it's low, refill with the correct power steering fluid and then check the level everyday for 10 days.
If the level drops you have a power steering fluid leak and that may be the cause of the noise you heard.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 03:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Bob's got some good advice for you. Here's some others that had/have that problem ....

Whining/grinding noise on Chrysler PT Cruiser

Whining / grinding noise.

Grinding noise

What else makes grinding noise?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 03:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Grinding noise is usually brakes or wheel bearings (rule out brakes first)

Torn CV boot will eventually lead to "clicking" at very low speeds while turning.
You can live with a torn CV boot for a very, very long time. Like 15,000 miles or so, maybe longer. It does make a bit of a mess under your car as they are crammed with grease and all that grease will spin out and land on the undercarriage.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 03:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooplewis View Post
Grinding noise is usually brakes or wheel bearings (rule out brakes first)

Torn CV boot will eventually lead to "clicking" at very low speeds while turning.
You can live with a torn CV boot for a very, very long time. Like 15,000 miles or so, maybe longer. It does make a bit of a mess under your car as they are crammed with grease and all that grease will spin out and land on the undercarriage.
Not in my part of the world. Weather and dirt will take it's toll in a few hundred miles. Axles to cheap to put up with all that. Sounds like what some of the recent owner's you see out there that are making beaters out of the PT.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 28 Oct 2012, 11:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb View Post
Problem 1:

Several weeks ago, the oil light came up, and key dance showed that the oil pressure sensor has some problem. I guess it's leaking and purchased a replacement from a dealer. I planned to replace the sensor myself, but don't have the time, so I let it be. The oil light light did not came up again. Now I still have the new sensor at hand, and will probably replace it when the light comes up again.

I am not concerned too much with this problem.

Problem 2:

It was cold a few days ago. In the morning, when I backed out from the driveway, I heard some grinding noise when the steering wheel was turned all the way to the right. I tried turning it to the left, it's quite. It happened two days back to back, but never again.
Problem #1 - If your oil level is good, I wouldn't worry too much. The sensor can trigger the light when it gets colder outside. I'm assuming it's just a poor design and it's sensitive to temperature.

Problem #2 - This can also happen when colder. Technically, you aren't supposed to hit the stops when turning the wheel since it's hard on the pump. The fluid was probably a bit on the thick side when you were cranking the wheel. Again, if the levels are OK, you should be fine.
Old 28 Oct 2012, 11:58 pm
Young Cruiser

I bought two Nissan Maximas, one a 1996 and the other a 1997 for my two boys. Both had split CV boots on each side, the boots nearest the wheels.

I had the 1996 for 3 1/2 years, my son put 34,000 miles on it; the CV joints started to click about a year ago, but I never replaced them. I bought that car for $800 and sold it for $700 with a wrecked door.

The 1997 went 2 1/2 years and the clicking at low speed was getting obvious, so I spent $300 and had the axles replaced. Rides the same now, but doesn't make clicking noises at low speeds. That car went 22,000 miles on split boots, here in So Calif.
Obviously, YMMV. But I have yet to hear of anyone driving a car that the CV joint shattered or froze up. I suppose it happens, but I haven't seen it.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 09:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everybody for your help.

I will check the steering fluid level tomorrow, and hope it's not a problem of CV joints. Just don't have the money for a repair.