PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front bumper replacement

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2012, 05:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front bumper replacement

I have a 2003 Limited and the right front side of the bumper has a split in it at the top near the fender and is hanging down about an eighth of an inch.
I guess I need to get a new bumper.

Anyone know where I could find instructions on how to remove/re-install a bumper?

If so, could you help me out with either instructions or a link to same?

Thanks so much.
Old 16 Nov 2012, 05:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Front bumper replacement

Headlight housing change out

this usually has to be done to remove the headlights.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 12:26 am
Regular Cruiser

Not sure if this is the same issue, but sounds like a problem I had.

The back bumper is held in place by a few round plastic grommets or plugs (don't know the correct term?). My bumper slipped or was banged off one of these, creating about an 1/8 gap. By removing the taillight, (I believe it's just one large phillips head screw?) I was able to access this piece through the taillight compartment, remove the plastic piece that holds the grommet in place from above, properly position the bumper by applying pressure from underneath the car, and then reinsert the plastic piece to hold the grommet in place... Good as new!

I'm sure someone can describe this process better, but if not, I hope this helps.

Old 18 Nov 2012, 02:38 am
Fanatic Cruiser

it can be a pain in the butt sometimes. get on youtube. headlight replacement video. its like 10 min long. he goes through the whole process if taking the front bumper off. problem is a lot of people have trouble with the 2 bolts right underneath the headlight that joint the fender and bumper together. those are headless bolts. they come lose a lot. so when you go to undo the nut, it just spins. so you have to cut/grind. whatever method you choose but I just say this to warn you. be prepared. might take longer then you want if your going the route of replacing the whole bumper.
Grassharper likes this.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 10:42 am
Senior Cruiser

There are 2 nuts that need to be removed at each back corner of the fascia (bumper cover) at the leading edge of the wheel well. You will have to detach the wheel well inner fender liner along the front to access those. Remove the upper grill to access 2 hex head bolts in the lower corner of the upper grill opening. Last, there are 3 (maybe 4?) bolts at the underside of the lower chin, about where the bottom of the radiator would be. Then simply pull the bumper cover straight off. Do NOT loosen or bother with the pieces by the headlights! Those are just hangers and the bumper cover has slots to slip on and off.

I removed my fascia many times. The first time took maybe a half hour but after that I could do it in 5 or 10 minutes.
Martybucs likes this.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 01:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
There are 2 nuts that need to be removed at each back corner of the fascia (bumper cover) at the leading edge of the wheel well. You will have to detach the wheel well inner fender liner along the front to access those. Remove the upper grill to access 2 hex head bolts in the lower corner of the upper grill opening. Last, there are 3 (maybe 4?) bolts at the underside of the lower chin, about where the bottom of the radiator would be. Then simply pull the bumper cover straight off. Do NOT loosen or bother with the pieces by the headlights! Those are just hangers and the bumper cover has slots to slip on and off.

I removed my fascia many times. The first time took maybe a half hour but after that I could do it in 5 or 10 minutes.
so your saying that those 2 bolts in the picture below don't need to come off to remove the bumper? I just watched the video again. right at a mintue in he takes those 2 10mm bolts off. on both sides. to get the bumper off. so if you can please explain how you got the bumper off without touching those 2 bolts that would be greatly appreciated. last time I checked. those 2 bolts on each side play a pretty big part in holding the bumper snug to the fender. maybe check your resources again? here's a link to the video. thank you

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20121103_211426.jpg (94.3 KB, 22 views)
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbsr05pt View Post
so your saying that those 2 bolts in the picture below don't need to come off to remove the bumper? I just watched the video again. right at a mintue in he takes those 2 10mm bolts off. on both sides. to get the bumper off. so if you can please explain how you got the bumper off without touching those 2 bolts that would be greatly appreciated. last time I checked. those 2 bolts on each side play a pretty big part in holding the bumper snug to the fender. maybe check your resources again? here's a link to the video. thank you

You might want to re-read the 2step response again. He actually says to undo those bolts. You misunderstood about the clips that are at the other end of the headlight at the grill area.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Nov 2012, 09:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

my bad. :-\

Old 18 Nov 2012, 09:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbsr05pt View Post
my bad. :-\
Can happen to anyone. Those two bolts are the biggest pain in the butt on the whole job. They usually have to be cut in my part of the woods.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Nov 2012, 10:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Can happen to anyone. Those two bolts are the biggest pain in the butt on the whole job. They usually have to be cut in my part of the woods.
that's what has to be done on mine to get it off to repaint it. I put it off till it gets warmer out.