Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New owner with a few questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2012, 08:05 am
Young Cruiser

Default New owner with a few questions...

I just purchased a used 2001 PT Cruiser, which will be my daughters "first car" when she turns 16. I told her I was "looking" at a few PT's, she was not thrilled, she thinks they are ugly, lol, but I think once she gets it, it will grow on her.

The one I found was purchased by an 80 year old lady new, and it only has 27k almost 12 years later. The interior is like new, the exterior has a "lot" of bumps and bruises (perhaps the car "should" have been taken away from her a few years earlier than it was). Anyway, I need to have some body work/painting done, but it's a really solid car.

Being this was one of the original, first year out models, are there any issues or concerns I should be aware of?

The radio does not work, I didn't find a listing for the fuse in the owners manual, can someone direct me to the right fuse (as a starting point for this issue anyway).

Also, the drivers power door lock pops up, but does not power down to lock. Is the power lock actuator difficult to change on a PT? Are there any instructions on how to remove the inner door panel?

Also, I need to purchase a keyless fob, can I program it myself once I buy one, or do I "need" to take it to a dealer?

How do I check to see of any/all of the recalls have been done to this car; do I need to take it to a dealer?

Does anyone know if the factory repair manual if available on-line for download?

Thanks for the help, looking forward to getting to know other PT owners...
Art

Last edited by a_bartle; 19 Nov 2012 at 08:08 am.
Old 19 Nov 2012, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New owner with a few questions...

Look in the Tech and pewrformance forum here.
I picked a few:
FREE Owners Manual Download

PT CRUISER TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS LIBRARY

HOW TO's

I'd flush the trans - use only ATF + 4, and change the oil for starters.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Nov 2012, 10:09 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the links/info. Once I get acquainted with the site, I'm sure I'll be using the search feature quite a bit, lol.

Hey, has anyone switched to synthetic trans fluid? Is this transmission in a PT a good one, or does it have known issues to look out for?

Thanks...
Old 20 Nov 2012, 10:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

ATF+4 is a full synthic the auto tranny is a weak link not ment for handling a lot of abuse i had well over 100,000 on mine some have a lot more
Old 20 Nov 2012, 10:50 am
Young Cruiser

Oh, ok... I've never used atf+4 so I didn't know. Thanks for the info. I'll have to do a search and see if there are any write-ups for the trans fluid change in the forum.

Thanks again!
Old 20 Nov 2012, 10:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

well there are p[retty much 2 ways to do a flush

1 Take it to a shop---we usally sugest taking your own fluid they will try to tell you what they have is the same as but i like to know what is in mine--'
They do a power flush it is like $150-$175 getts ALL the old fluid out then they may or may not do a filter change guess thats your call

#2 Put on a rack or ramps, drop the pan change the filter,reinstall the pan with a new gasket, and refill with 5 quarts of ATF+4 this is about a 50% fluid change

#2 is cheaper and it will get about half the fluid out you get a new filter and you did it your self in about 2-3 months do it again and to me its pretty good

some will argue both ways but either way getts a new filter some fresh fluid and it should help plus if you drop the pan you can smell if it has a burnt smell or just a old oil smell
Old 20 Nov 2012, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

one more thing the 01-05 are a little diffrent in the way the electrical system is ran so make sure what you are looking for is fior your year
you knwo that uisally we say 100.000 miles you need a timing belt and that is one of the most expensive jobs on a PT its between $750-$1200 depending on who and where you get it done but with a 11 year old car id be checking inot that rubber will get brittle and old and the timing belt is pretty much the life of the car