Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator Cap - new style/part number

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2012, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator Cap - new style/part number

Hi all, first off, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

I've posted previously about issues I've been dealing with on my sons 2001 PT Limited (156K miles). I found a leaking radiator that caused coolant to spray all over the battery box and air cleaner. That has since been replaced and refilled with HOAT.

We warmed the car up to go through the bleed procedure and try to get air out of the system. The radiator cap was on and the bleed nipple closed.

When I did it at the weekend the temp gauge stayed at the middle of the range for 10+mins but then started to climb up towards the 3/4 mark, the top hose was hot but clearly under a lot of pressure. I stopped the car and opened the bleed nipple, a ton of air came out but very little liquid.

Repeated that cycle a number of times and it was the same each time until I had had enough and called it quits for the day.

Based on the posts here, I think my "bleed technique" was wrong so i need to go back and do it again. But I also think my rad cap might be bad and that may have caused the initial overheat problem that caused the plastic housing of the rad to fail a few weeks back.

So off to the dealer i went to get the Mopar rad cap. It cost me $24 plus tax and is totally different to the existing cap. The part number is 1-04596198 and is rated at 17lbs. It is black and round and looks more like a brake fluid cap than the normal silver wing-tipped rad cap that is on the car.

The parts guy double checked the number and where it fits and confirmed it is for the 2001 PT. Does anyone know if this part was updated by Chrysler and if it is supposed to fix some of the issues with the normal rad cap?

I'll try to add a couple of photos to this to clarify what it looks like.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1a.jpg (15.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg photo2a.jpg (17.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 21 Nov 2012, 08:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator Cap - new style/part number

sounds like you have a headgasket issue.

Yes, they update looks of the cap every few years; I bought exact same cap for my PT-
Old 21 Nov 2012, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Uptown, i noticed in some earlier posts that you were planning on doing a "how to" for the "lift'n'slide" method of replacing the HG. did you ever get that done?

I should also mention that my son and i bled the system again, this time with the rad cap off. There were a lot of bubbles for 5 or so minutes then nothing, even if the revs were increased. Once the water started to rise i put the OLD cap back on and let it warm up fully.

We noticed that there was some wisps of steam coming from the rad cap and after about 15 mins or so, the temp gauge rose and there was bubbling from the coolant overflow. We shut the car off at that point and are letting it cool down. not sure if it's worth trying this again with the new cap or not.

any thoughts?

thanks
Old 21 Nov 2012, 09:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I tried the 'lift 'n Slide, but the two things that held it up were:

1. Exhaust manifold support (goes from manifold to center of block)

2. Inner timing cover.

I'm not sure you couldn't do it if #1 were loosened, but after removing EVERYTHING anyways, there's not really much of a point.
I can't get headbolts out w/o removing (or really loosening) cams.

I do do a lot of this it seems; I just turned in TWELVE 2.4 valve covers for scrap, most of which were late model ('01 & up)
Old 22 Nov 2012, 12:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Definately try the new rad cap. They sometimes do fail and no longer hold pressure. Then the coolant will boil and push out. I'm not sure if you're saying that you don't see any boil over or not. If it's not overflowing the recovery tank, then you could have a head gasket problem from the privious overheating.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 01:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

not sure if the coolant would have pushed out of the bottle or not tonight because we shut the engine off when it began to boil.

when this first happened a few weeks back the coolant had spilled out of the bottle and onto the exhaust so i will give the new cap a try tomorrow.

Uptown, i did find on one of the sticky's your photo journal of how to remove the head and replace the gasket. At first glance it certainly looks like a PITA to me, I'm sure you have it down to a science now!!

thanks for the replies guys
Old 22 Nov 2012, 07:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If you jack passenger's side of engine WAY up, then that helps mucho

The rest of engine is really EZ to work on, intake, valve cover, etc is a snap.
Old 22 Nov 2012, 09:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
If you jack passenger's side of engine WAY up, then that helps mucho

The rest of engine is really EZ to work on, intake, valve cover, etc is a snap.
X2 on this one, jacking the engine way up so you can get that PITA bracket off. I thought the Neon was a hassle. But I was able to do it without even discharging the AC
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice