PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What's the going rate for a dead PT Cruiser?

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2012, 03:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What's the going rate for a dead PT Cruiser?

Hey there,

The timing belt on my PT has just gone out and I was quoted at repair cost of $1300 to replace it ($2500 if the valves have been damaged).

Sadly, this is too much money for me to justify putting back into car, as it only blue books for $3000.

Does anyone know much much money I can expect to get for it if I trade it in or sell it out right in its current condition? It would be really helpful to have this info before I start talking to car dealers and salvage yard owners.

Thanks,

Pubb13
Old 26 Nov 2012, 03:56 pm
Banned

Question Re: What's the going rate for a dead PT Cruiser?

A little more info would be appreciated, the year isn't mentioned, mileage, service records, how long it was driven with belt snapped, where it happened when it snapped, what was done?

Too little info here
Busted_PT and Badglas like this.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 04:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: What's the going rate for a dead PT Cruiser?

Sorry about the lack of info.

It is a 2001 Limited Edition. Mileage is 99,000. It has been regularly serviced throughout it's life and was only minimally driven from 2006-2012, as I was living in NYC and left the car with my parents.

When the belt snapped this past Wednesday I lost all acceleration and I immediately pulled over to the side of the road. I was driving on a four lane road at around 40 mph at the time that it snapped. After pulling to the side of the road, I attempted to start it a few times with no luck and then called my local car garage and waited for the towing truck to arrive.

Body-wise it is in good condition with 1 small dent on the left side of the car near the rear.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Pubb13
Old 26 Nov 2012, 04:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i know that $1300 is a lot of money but really what can you get for $1300???
the motor is a non interferance so the worst is that the valuves might have hit each other the head is most likely ok os timing belt water pump tensioners and a new serpentine belt and you are on your way for another 100,000 miles

to sell it as is where is is hard id say at best $700-$1000 it is a non running 11 year old car
not sure of your area but where i li9ve some dealers will take a dead car in on trade but in the end you will actually pay them to take it
just my 2 cents worth
Old 26 Nov 2012, 04:51 pm
Banned

Lightbulb Re: What's the going rate for a dead PT Cruiser?

Most of us here treasure our pt's and put alot of money into them modifying them to our liking. They are more than just transportation to us. Your dilemma is going to be reality for all of us eventually. The question is do you love your pt or just use it for transportation?
Busted_PT and Badglas like this.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Many here have been in your shoes and ether did away with the pt or had it fixed or did the repair them selves. If your not going to fix, you would be better to sell to someone that wants to fix or parts. The to you mentioned will yield the least money. Salvage 3 to 4 hundred. Trade in is all smoke and mirrors. Better to buy straight out.

If you have a friend that has mechanical skills maybe you can get some help and do the repairs. I would be extremely surprised if any valves are involved. Your location would be good also.

1300 divided by 12 months is $108. 33. Not a bad car payment for even just one more year of driving. Two more years is half that. Just a thought.
Badglas likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Nov 2012, 07:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hey pubb. Depends on location, but Kael and I bought 2 this year. The first we drove home, $500.00. The second was inoperable and the engine disassembled, $300.00. Salvage yards in my area are paying $200.00 - $250.00.

If you can do your own repairs it's a no brainer. Fix it. If you're paying for repairs, it has to be your call.

Food for thought. What will it cost you to replace the PT per month next year?
The repair cost for the PT will be $108.33 per month, and that is an every 100,000 mile repair. Hope this helps.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 26 Nov 2012, 08:37 pm
Young Cruiser

If you were trading it in on a new or used Mercedes-Benz, I would give you $2000 for it.

But as an outright sale, it is now a parts car, $250 is probably all the money on a non-op 12-year-old Chrysler.
VNT likes this.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 09:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you got the time and tools, you can make more by parting it out on here and/or ebay. Shipping could get tedious though when it comes to body panels.

Pieced out the car could bring $1,000 or more. Check prices on ebay for reference
Old 26 Nov 2012, 09:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooplewis View Post
If you were trading it in on a new or used Mercedes-Benz, I would give you $2000 for it.

But as an outright sale, it is now a parts car, $250 is probably all the money on a non-op 12-year-old Chrysler.
I would guess you would give that off on a straight out deal. Maybe more.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com