Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Backfire / air conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2012, 06:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Backfire / air conditioning

The car was vibrating and starting to stall while idling at stops, with the air conditioning on. Then it started to back fire or make a large bang sound. The car was not cooling down. I was told if I ran the car like that I would destroy the engine, that I needed a new air conditioner,so I have replaced the air conditioner fan and computer assembly. The car still backfires when I turn the air conditioner on, so I don't use it. Does anyone know what the problem might be. There is no problem when the heater is turned on or when I start the engine. I am the original owner of my 2006 Touring model. The issue started around 36,000 miles, of course after warrenty was up. Thank you, Priscilla
Old 26 Nov 2012, 06:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Backfire / air conditioning

Wait a minute. You were told you need a new air conditioner, so you replaced the fan assembly and the computer. That doesn't make sence. What ever you replaced because a mechanic told you to replace it and you still have the same problem, ask them WHY you still have the same problem and ask for your money back.

Did you take it to a Chrysler dealer or some back alley mechanic that doesn't know anything about PT Cruisers? Was you car put on a scanner to narrow down exactly what was wrong and what you really needed to fix it?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Nov 2012 at 08:16 pm.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 07:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

I agree that this needs clarification to understand what's been done. Did you mean "I have replaced the air conditioner fan and computer assembly", or "I have replaced the air conditioner, fan, and computer assembly"?

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 26 Nov 2012, 10:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will need to look at my records. I took the car to Chrysler, they said new air conditioning needed to be replaced. I went for second opinion at local shop where all the police cruisers are serviced. Figured they would be reputable. They said same thing. Very limited budget, so I ordered the part according to what i was told and it was installed by automotive dept in my high school. It is a certified shop overseen by a certified former GMC repair shop manager. I will have to find the order form to describe the exact part that was installed. I just remember air conditioning fan and computer assembly. It is all one part. When the part was installed all was ok, so I thought until the outside temperature rose (Georgia). It seems that when the outside air temp is over 80 or so, that when I turn the car on, and then put on the air is when I get the backfire. It sounds like it comes from the passenger side of the engine or under the floor board in that area and I can feel the vibration from the POP. I really was trying to get some help because when woman take the car into the shop ....so before I go to Chrysler again I want to sound a bit educated about my car. I can't afford repair work that really doesn't fix the issue. Thank you for your time and help. Priscilla.

Tags
air condition, back fire