PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dual tips

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2012, 01:22 am
Banned

Question Dual tips

I have dual tips, with the cooler weather I notice when it's cold out I only get the "smoke" out of the one pipe. The original stock position one, my spare tire is gone so perhaps I need to have the area where it splits off redone to equally distribute?

This happen to anyone else. Kind of odd having two tips and smoke only coming out of one
Old 03 Dec 2012, 01:27 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Dual tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
I have dual tips, with the cooler weather I notice when it's cold out I only get the "smoke" out of the one pipe. The original stock position one, my spare tire is gone so perhaps I need to have the area where it splits off redone to equally distribute?

This happen to anyone else. Kind of odd having two tips and smoke only coming out of one
Hey Busa. Yup, I see that too, but mine is just the opposite. I get more from the right side pipe. I just installed the Borla system, so I don't know if that's normal or not. It does seem to even out once the engine is warm.

Ron

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 03 Dec 2012, 08:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Path of least resestance and more pipe to equalize the temp.
OurPTGT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Dec 2012, 08:44 am
Senior Cruiser

I agree. With the different lengths of pipe the exhaust will come out the least restrictive.
Old 03 Dec 2012, 10:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have BTG duals, and they have a "Y" splitter that sends equal exhaust to each side. ONes like the Borla or Bassani dump all exhaust into muffler in the stock location, then send ome "back" over to passenger side.
Busa_Powered likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Dec 2012, 11:00 am
Senior Cruiser

There is no such animal as a dual exhaust for any Cruisers. What you have is some sort of "split tip", usually behind the back axle. How well the split is balanced determines how much "smoke" exits from each tip. It's a simple test to put your hand over the bigger smoker and note how the other tip puffs a lot more.

The "smoke" at cold start up is actually water vapor from condensation in the pipes and it goes away after a minute or two once the system heats up. This is normal. The pipe is open and humidity gets in after shut down and as the outside air cools the pipes from the outside in, condesation forms like on a glass of ice tea (except on the inside) and puddles inside the pipes.

Be sure and take notes because there will be a short test at the end of the lesson.
Old 03 Dec 2012, 11:12 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
There is no such animal as a dual exhaust for any Cruisers. What you have is some sort of "split tip", usually behind the back axle. How well the split is balanced determines how much "smoke" exits from each tip. It's a simple test to put your hand over the bigger smoker and note how the other tip puffs a lot more.

The "smoke" at cold start up is actually water vapor from condensation in the pipes and it goes away after a minute or two once the system heats up. This is normal. The pipe is open and humidity gets in after shut down and as the outside air cools the pipes from the outside in, condesation forms like on a glass of ice tea (except on the inside) and puddles inside the pipes.

Be sure and take notes because there will be a short test at the end of the lesson.
Thank you, I know I dont have a dual exhaust, that is why I referred to it as a "Dual Tip", the smoke was explained at startup when its cold. I know it wasnt smoke in the literal sense.

Thank you for drilling into to my comment and exposing any perceived errors into it
Old 03 Dec 2012, 02:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post

It happens...

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 03 Dec 2012 at 02:19 pm.
Old 04 Dec 2012, 09:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

I just installed mine (Borla/Mopar), and noticed the same. the little smoke that came out, came predominately from the right side.

Hey Badglas, does your tips hang out a little excessive? I was thinking of trying to move the assembly forward. There might be some adjustment left in the second from the front clamped union. If not, I might trim some off.
I am bit anal on things like this, and seeing almost the whole tip hanging out beyond the valance does not appeal to me. I want to only get an inch or so to be exposed, instead of the 2 plus I have now.
Of course I will have to tweek all of the hangars to allow for that.

Other than that, I am impressed with the quality of the product.

I just have to get used to the Deep humm at 70 or so MPH

Sorry for cutting into your "Smokey" Thread
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 05 Dec 2012, 11:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Dual tips on a 4 cylinder always struck me as kinda odd? They say to the world..."I could have had a V8!"