PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problem getting the car to move from a stop.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Dec 2012, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problem getting the car to move from a stop.

Question for all of you out there, as I've never had this issue in my life:

Yesterday, I take my wife's '01 out. I come to a stop at the end of our driveway and the car's not moving. Everything seems totally normal though, so I put the car in reverse, and back it up a couple feet before shifting into drive. Everything went good and I drove it to the other end of town for work. On my way home, the problem happens once more. I thought maybe it had something to do with the car still being cold or something... whatever.

So, she drives her car today. She only works ten blocks away, but says that this issue was happening at almost each stop sign. Once stopped, the car just sits there. Pushing the gas pedal down just has the car revving, as though you had it in park.

For full disclosure, I should mention that, in the past week, I've changed the thermostat, radiator, and radiator hoses. Changing the thermostat required to add a bit of transmission fluid to replace what had leaked out during the radiator job. I'm going to recheck the fluid level when its light out, and I know I've got the right type of transmission fluid.

Any ideas what's going on and how to resolve it? Anybody else go through this? The transmission has just over 120,000 miles on it.
Old 07 Dec 2012, 06:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Problem getting the car to move from a stop.

Have you ever had the transaxle flushed or at least had the pan dropped, filter replaced and the 4 or 5 quarts replaced?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Dec 2012, 06:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I figured that, with the amount of miles on it... didn't know if it'd be advisable.
Old 07 Dec 2012, 06:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Without knowing the history of the car (if you bought it used) or no matter what the circumstances, it's always advisable to change the fluids and that way you know what was done and when. The transaxle on the PT is a "weak" point and many, many owners have had problems so anything you can do to prolong it's life, is wel worth the cost.

That's what it sounds like to me, the trans is slipping. It IS automatic, right? If not, the clutch is on it's last legs.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Dec 2012, 06:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, it is the automatic. Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a shot...