crank shaft end play

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By heifetz17

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2012, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default crank shaft end play

Have a 2007 2.4L N/A.
Replacet the timing belt, etc. about 10k ago. Now it is pumping oil out at fast as you pour it in. Took it apart and found crank seal was pushed out of it's bore.
Replaced it and got everything back together, feeling good about life. Started up the car and more oil pumping out. Have read about the thrust bearing/crank end play issue. The question is can the crank bearings be replaced to fix this or does it need a total rebuid/new short block. This is my sons car and funds are limited.
Any advice appreciated.
Old 09 Dec 2012, 07:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: crank shaft end play

My understanding is that they only used 1/2 of a thrust bearing instead of the traditional entire bearing on N/A, turbo got traditional full bearing.

I'd pull the engine an see what is wrong- You can get crank or block welded if there's damage- Or get a new-used crank

Crankshaft supply would likely stock a kit for exchange
Old 09 Dec 2012, 07:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Decoy Boy, when our 2007 did that, they put in anew short block and reused all the old parts (we put a new belt and such on it at the same time). The car had 65,000 miles.
Tom
Old 09 Dec 2012, 07:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOETOM View Post
Decoy Boy, when our 2007 did that, they put in anew short block and reused all the old parts (we put a new belt and such on it at the same time). The car had 65,000 miles.
Tom
Tom- I'm trying to do this as inexpensive as I can to save my kids some $. About how much were you into that job? Thanks-Bill
Old 09 Dec 2012, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What years did this start?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Dec 2012, 08:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

I think late 2006 and they built a few thousand or so that were bad???? Others can better answer this. We have three other PTs so it whizzed me off when I had to deal with this.
Decoy, they did it under a warranty that was on the used car when we bought it. You will need the crank and a bearing kit I suspect plus you get to pull the flex plate lose or flywheel and all the other junk you just had off. I do not envy you.

Forgot to add that about 1.5 years (12,000 miles) after the new short block, the flex plate went bad (broke out where the crank had been pushing it back and forth) so please put a new factory one on when you pull it apart. It cost me about $50.
Tom

Last edited by VOETOM; 09 Dec 2012 at 08:11 pm.
Old 12 Dec 2012, 05:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I've seen a few with this problem here at the dealership, and all have been 2007 models.

In order to replace the main bearings, you have to take the bottom end apart anyway. You won't save much money doing that over an actual rebuild. Either way, this isn't a cheap problem to fix, unless you bought the car new and it's under the lifetime warranty.
Busted_PT likes this.