PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Changing front seats - Tyre sizes - Engine size

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2012, 08:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Changing front seats - Tyre sizes - Engine size

My owned from new 2000 Limited Silver is past it and I have recently bought a 2005 Red Classic with only 14,000 genuine miles on the clock.

I want to swap the nasty velour seats for my nice leather ones. I presume they will fit, and will first try the rear ones, but for the front, can I somehow slide the seats out of their rails or do I need to unbolt them from the floor?

I presume the seat lifter is plug in connection? Any tricks I need to know?

I note the new one has 195 wheels vs 205 on old one. Can I mix on same axles? I presume same studs.

Old one is a 2000-cc engine. New 2429. Are they the same engine bored out, or different?

In general, are 2000 and 2005 close enough to keep the old for spares?
Old 16 Dec 2012, 08:36 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Changing front seats - Tyre sizes - Engine size

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenLPhillips View Post
My owned from new 2000 Limited Silver is past it and I have recently bought a 2005 Red Classic with only 14,000 genuine miles on the clock.

I want to swap the nasty velour seats for my nice leather ones. I presume they will fit, and will first try the rear ones, but for the front, can I somehow slide the seats out of their rails or do I need to unbolt them from the floor?

unbolt them from the floor

I presume the seat lifter is plug in connection? Any tricks I need to know?

plug it in. The wiring is probably already there, although you may have to search for it

I note the new one has 195 wheels vs 205 on old one. Can I mix on same axles? I presume same studs.

studs are the same.

Old one is a 2000-cc engine. New 2429. Are they the same engine bored out, or different?

the engines are different

In general, are 2000 and 2005 close enough to keep the old for spares?

yes they are
Old 16 Dec 2012, 09:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is/was ONLY 1 engine size for the PT if your talking about the United States. That's 2.4 ltr or the 2429 cc. The only 2000 cc engine was built for the overseas market but since you didn't fill in your profile, we can't see where you are.

As far as the tire size, your asking to mix 195 and 205 on the same axle. I'm not a tire expert but I'd think that was not recommended by any vehicle or tire manufacturer. Now 195's on the front axle and 205's on the rear would certainly work and many owners and vehicles have done that.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Dec 2012 at 09:11 am.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Crewzin & Zamfire

Thanks for prompt responses.

I am indeed in "overseas" - UK. Profile edited to say so - once I worked out how! So is it the same engine less bored out? Looks similar under the bonnet (hood!)

Sorry - I was unclear re tyres/wheels - meant two matching on SAME axle!

So 205 rear 195 front is OK? Other way round not? Is there a reason? Is there a noticeable difference? I'm just wanting to use up tread. The new car is still on its original tyres! And the front ones are low.

Thanks re seats.

Am I right to think cruise control is fitted to engine of the Classic, just not connected up? Could I swap steering wheels? Or do so anyway, as I think Classic is plastic, Ltd leather?

And finally for now - main problem with the old one was overheating - notably when left ticking over. I saw a similar one for sale with the same fault. Is it a known problem?
Old 16 Dec 2012, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Hi Crewzin & Zamfire

Thanks for prompt responses.

I am indeed in "overseas" - UK. Profile edited to say so - once I worked out how! So is it the same engine less bored out? Looks similar under the bonnet (hood!)

Not sure if the 2.0 is just bored out to get the 2.4, not into internals of the engine block.

Sorry - I was unclear re tyres/wheels - meant two matching on SAME axle!

So 205 rear 195 front is OK? Other way round not? Is there a reason? Is there a noticeable difference? I'm just wanting to use up tread. The new car is still on its original tyres! And the front ones are low.

Lots of cars come with larger tires on the rear and the only time I've seen larger on the front is when a front wheel drive is racing and they put larger slicks on the front. The 205 is just the next wider size than the 195 so possibly nothing wrong with runnng the 205 in the front.

Thanks re seats.

Am I right to think cruise control is fitted to engine of the Classic, just not connected up? Could I swap steering wheels? Or do so anyway, as I think Classic is plastic, Ltd leather?

Some owners found that even the Classic was fitted with the wiring for fog lights, power mirrors, cruise control, rear subwoofer etc., others looked for the wiring and found nothing. All you can do is look to see if you have extra wiring in yours.

And finally for now - main problem with the old one was overheating - notably when left ticking over. I saw a similar one for sale with the same fault. Is it a known problem?
I'll say that the main reason that any of the PT overheat is because of the radiator fan. There are two speeds to the motor of the fan and one or the other speed tends to burn out because of the bushes in the motor that wear out prematurely. Check to see if you have both speeds. In mine, the low speed comes on automatically when the A/C is turned on and when the engine heats up, the high speed cuts in.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 01:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

<< I'll say that the main reason that any of the PT overheat is because of the radiator fan. There are two speeds to the motor of the fan and one or the other speed tends to burn out because of the bushes in the motor that wear out prematurely. Check to see if you have both speeds. In mine, the low speed comes on automatically when the A/C is turned on and when the engine heats up, the high speed cuts in. >>

Thanks for that. I never thought of it, and if my garage did they did not mention it!
Old 16 Dec 2012, 02:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Chrysler 1.8, 2.0 & 2.4 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 2.0 and 2.4 engines are related, and even share some parts, but there are significant differences. For instance, the 2.0 is an interference engine and the 2.4 is not.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 06:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamfir2 View Post
Chrysler 1.8, 2.0 & 2.4 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 2.0 and 2.4 engines are related, and even share some parts, but there are significant differences. For instance, the 2.0 is an interference engine and the 2.4 is not.
I had to look up what "interference engine" meant!

Know the concept; not the term. Always struck me as inherently bad design - but obviously done with reason of better performance/efficiency.

So is the 2.4 any more powerful than the2.0? Or does it just use more fuel? !
Old 16 Dec 2012, 07:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
So is the 2.4 any more powerful than the2.0? Or does it just use more fuel? !
Not really more powerful. The normally aspirated version used in the Cruiser is rated at 150 hp. The N/A 2.0 is rated at 140hp. Shrug.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 08:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

2.0 (DOHC or SOHC) had a very short stroke, same bore.
Interestingly, the ancient 2.2 and 2.5 shared that bore size, too-
Chrysler must've gotten a discount on a that size boring machine ...

2.4, because of long stroke, is very good for torque-
2.0 DOHC is an exceptional engine, and although it uses same head as 2.4 has much different characteristics; it's able to produce same or higher HP but at high RPM.
2.0 SOHC was better matched to automatics or heavier sedans.

Dangerous oversteer will occur if tires are mismatched in a certain way front to back. You may wish to research your particular fitment, but in short you want most traction and most 'responsive' tires in rear, not in front-
Best example of the wrong thing would be highway radials in front, and bias snows rear (tradional RWD)