PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELLO! It's been such a long time! Update & Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2012, 06:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to xxcutetaraxx
Default HELLO! It's been such a long time! Update & Question

Hello my fellow PT friends! How is everyone doing? I haven't been on this forum for such a long time. Mainly because I have been doing so much with my life! Here's a quick update.

This past June I graduated college with an Associate's Degree in Marketing Management & received two certificates in Marketing Management and Business Administration. I plan to continue to earn my Bachelor's Degree.

I was with Otis Elevator company in the dispatching center for 4 years and I recently quit this past July. I met a wonderful man through Otis. He was a supervisor in the Edmonton Alberta office and we fell in love! (Kinda corny I know...haha) Anyways, I was granted a work visa and I moved up to Alberta at the beginning of August. What a great adventure! Took my beautiful PT on this 40+ hour road trip and it still drives like a champ! 2007 with only 47,800 miles on it The only thing I don't like about Canada? SO COLD & SO MUCH SNOW. yuck!!!

I am working on finding a job in Marketing. I had a job up here with KONE elevator company but my boyfriend got a job offer from a different competitor elevator company and it was a conflict of interest, so I had to resign unfortunately

But I have a QUESTION! I have a nice $400 remote car starter installed in my PT. Had it installed since 2009 I believe, and now all of a sudden it just doesn't work. I press the button and it sets my car alarm off. Once I get the alarm off, I get in the car and try key starting it. Then it won't start. Turns out that the remote starter is still "engaged," so I have to apply the brake in order to turn it off and then my car will start right up. I wonder if that's a theft feature or something. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Thanks and I hope to hear from you all soon!!

2007 Silver PT Cruiser Touring Edition, full chrome beltline kit, chrome side accent moldings, chrome side view mirrors, lower chromed grille, custom license plate frame, interior led lights, chrome pillars, chrome door scoffs, black PT tailight covers, Dynomax turbo muffler, GTS smoked headlight covers

Last edited by xxcutetaraxx; 17 Dec 2012 at 06:42 pm. Reason: The word started was supposed to be "starter"
Old 17 Dec 2012, 07:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: HELLO! It's been such a long time! Update & Question

I would try to reset the the remote starter first, HOW depends on the brand. If that does not work check the key bypass. If your installer used the cheap key bypass like me, I found out that those cheap ones do not like cold temps below -20C.

2 ways to check for the bypass module, 1) open the panel below the steering wheel and you will probably see the module. If not there look around the brake pedal, you will see 2 - the remote starter and bypass module. 2) Open your steering covers and look around your ignition barrel, if there is a wire around it you have the cheap one. If you look a little aft of the ignition barrel and see a couple of wires crimped or soldered to a 4 wire connector then you have the good stuff. Also, you might have to connect the TACH wire fromn the r/s to the coil so it will not fool you when it failed to start.

Nice personal story! Go to Banff or Jasper and enjoy Canada.
Old 17 Dec 2012, 08:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to xxcutetaraxx

And I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. But a few weeks ago, my battery officially died. It was about 5 years old and with the crazy Canadian cold weather, that's why it died. My boyfriend bought me a new battery and when he went to install it, he hooked it up backwards...so for a good 7 seconds, my horn was going off, lights were flashing, windshield wipers were moving fast...

Once we disconnected the battery, we noticed that some fuses blew. Interior lights, radio, and my power locks wouldn't work. Changed the fuses and now everything works just fine. The car starter started not working after this...but as confusing as this may sound, sometimes my remote starter will work! Last week, my boyfriend and I drove my car for about 20 minutes and then right when we shut it off, we tried the starter and it started right up. But today, i went to the store and then within 15 minutes I tried the remote starter and thats when my car alarm went off. It was about 10 degrees farenheit today as well. Not sure if the temperature has anything to do with it?

2007 Silver PT Cruiser Touring Edition, full chrome beltline kit, chrome side accent moldings, chrome side view mirrors, lower chromed grille, custom license plate frame, interior led lights, chrome pillars, chrome door scoffs, black PT tailight covers, Dynomax turbo muffler, GTS smoked headlight covers
Old 17 Dec 2012, 09:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Welcome back, Tara!!