Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Non Turbo to Turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2012, 11:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Non Turbo to Turbo

Hi all, I have a chance to get a OEM Grille set that is black with the chrome inserts, only problem is that it is for a Turbo setup.
I see that the lower grille is a loose piece as opposed to the molded in type on my Non turbo.
My question is, is there any way to adapt the turbo lower grille to my lower valance, by trimming the old non grille and adding the turbo.
I do automotive prototype for a living, so doing rework to automotive stuff is not out of reach of my knowledge, so in other words "I ain't afraid of cuttin on my PT" so long as it halfway feasible. Thanks
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 19 Dec 2012, 03:18 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Non Turbo to Turbo

Seeing as I have a GT, I don't see why you couldn't. I've never had a look at the standard 2.4 engine bay and setup underneath, but I assume it's almost the same minus the turbo, intercooler and a slightly different airbox. And I'm sure you intake manifold is made of different material. It is a PT after all. So you do want the turbo? Or do you just want the grille? I'm sure you already know this since you prototype cars for a living, but it isn't cheap man. Depending on the power you want to put out, you may need a new transmission so it will hold. Not to mention the cost of the lower grille, turbo kit, exhaust to go with the turbo kit, intercooler, and intake to fit the turbo kit. You also may need new injectors depending on your year. I know 05 GT's and up had the big injectors for upgrades, but I'm not sure about a standard 2.4L. I'd just ask a mechanic at your local Chrysler if it can be done. If anybody knows it's Chrysler. Look for details on the car and it should clear things up. Hope I helped in some way. It's a good question though man.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 04:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Hi all, I have a chance to get a OEM Grille set that is black with the chrome inserts, only problem is that it is for a Turbo setup.
I see that the lower grille is a loose piece as opposed to the molded in type on my Non turbo.
My question is, is there any way to adapt the turbo lower grille to my lower valance, by trimming the old non grille and adding the turbo.
I do automotive prototype for a living, so doing rework to automotive stuff is not out of reach of my knowledge, so in other words "I ain't afraid of cuttin on my PT" so long as it halfway feasible. Thanks
My lower grille is molded too. Mine is an 03 Dreamcruiser same as a GT turbo. Maybe the 01 is different. Turbo(gt) didn't come out till 03. I'm not sure what that grille is for(year and model).

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 19 Dec 2012, 06:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had a billet grille on my '02 PT (non-turbo) and moved it to my '05 turbo.
I kept reading that the lower grille on the turbo is bigger, but it cannot be by very much, because I think the lower piece fits fine.
I attached it using black zip ties on the vertical black bars on the billet grille to the slats on the stock grille - my stock lower grille is fixed, so the Billet one sits on top of it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Dec 2012, 08:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have seen that grill on both. If you have access to the bumper that it came off of you could trace the opening.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Dec 2012, 10:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Non Turbo to Turbo GRILL

The thread topic title is absence accurate titling?

It is just a suggestion but you might ask Carey aka CREWZIN to add the word "GRILL" to your thread topic. Anyone looking to up grade from a NONE Turbo PT to a Turbo engine application using the search feature is going to get this thread about grills? The title is a bit deceiving without the suggested word?
I am sure that the hit count will raise if left as it is?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Dec 2012, 10:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Non Turbo to Turbo-Grille

Sorry about the title being a bit misleading, I wound up writing it about midnight waiting for my dog to finish his business outside, and get to bed.

Anyway, thanks for all of your replies, and yes it is just for the grille, although I would LOVE to abscond a turbo setup for my ride

The grille is off of a 03 GT according to the ad.

I still am getting mixed ideas on what will work. Did the 03's have a separate lower grille? or was it just the Turbos that year having that feature.

I would like to be able to graft the lower grille offered in the ad, as long as I do not have to destroy my valance too bad, to do so.

Originally I was going to buy the chrome aftermarket overlay (the type ROCKETMAN has on his PT) and put the blackout kit on the vertical supports on the grille itself, but when I went to look it up, this OEM version appeared.

I just want to make sure it is worth my while, or just go back to my original plan. Thanks again.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 20 Dec 2012, 09:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Non Turbo to Turbo-Grille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Sorry about the title being a bit misleading, I wound up writing it about midnight waiting for my dog to finish his business outside, and get to bed.

Anyway, thanks for all of your replies, and yes it is just for the grille, although I would LOVE to abscond a turbo setup for my ride

The grille is off of a 03 GT according to the ad.

I still am getting mixed ideas on what will work. Did the 03's have a separate lower grille? or was it just the Turbos that year having that feature.

I would like to be able to graft the lower grille offered in the ad, as long as I do not have to destroy my valance too bad, to do so.

Originally I was going to buy the chrome aftermarket overlay (the type ROCKETMAN has on his PT) and put the blackout kit on the vertical supports on the grille itself, but when I went to look it up, this OEM version appeared.

I just want to make sure it is worth my while, or just go back to my original plan. Thanks again.
It requires you to cut out the lower grill. These bumpers are shown used on eBay sometimes. This not a GT thing some turbos had them some n/a had this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com