Car Cuts Out

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By VNT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2012, 05:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Car Cuts Out

Hi. '03 GT 5 speed. 105K

In the summer I had a whole ordeal that turned out to be the flywheel and got the timing belt done. I have put about 5K on it since. Shortly after I got it back from the shop the check engine light came on - 2 codes. 1 was 0551 power steering pressure switch. I can't recall the other, but it didn't alarm me much. The light went out, but the codes stayed.

Day after Thanksgiving I went to move it an it was dead. Completely dead. No lights, no odometer, nothing. Shut the key off and on and it started right up like there was no problem. No check engine light and the codes were gone. Drove it around plenty since including NY to DC. This past Saturday the codes came back. Same ones. Sunday, as I pulled into the supermarket, the car died. Same thing. No power, not odometer, totally dead. Car started right up. Codes are gone. Ran fine. Put another 15-20 miles on it without incident. Is this going to be a big problem? Is it going to strand me on the way back to NYC for Christmas?

*Quick edit. After it died in the supermarket parking lot I started it up and went shopping. Came out and it started right up and I drove it 10 miles to a friend's. About 7 miles in the brake, ABS and traction control lights all came on and stayed on until I parked it. Came out after dinner, it started right up, those warnings were gone and it was fine.

Since I got the car back from the shop it's run fine. Only problems have been with tires and the angry birds sound from the accessory belt which is considerably worse during when it's humid/raining.

Any ideas? Comments?

Last edited by Fk5; 20 Dec 2012 at 05:48 pm.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 06:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Car Cuts Out

Any codes recently?

I have an 05 GT. Had it 3 months and the cluster acted up one day, all the lights flashed and tach went crazy. Reset the battery and went another two months, then car started stalling. Again no codes.

So I tossed a new mopar cam sensor in, it didnt fix it, Car started to stall more frequently. Brought to dealer, no readings with DRB, so they threw a crank sensor in, didnt fix it. So they loaned me the DRB in co pilot mode to try to capture the event when it stalled, hit save and DRB will look at all the readings on sensors and whatnot. Drove and it hickuped and hit the button on the DRB only to see the Bus was crashing so it didnt record anything.

Any module in the car can take down the bus but worst offenders are the Cluster and PCm. I threw money at a new cluster since it had acted up but that didnt fix it, so changed the PCM and it has run fine since.
Note I keep my cars in tip top sahpe with good batteries, grounds, plugs etc

So if your not getting codes stored(and you wont when the bus goes down on these intermittent problems) I would suspect a PCM going bad.
Note the dealer is as blind as you are until the module totally fails.
Fk5 likes this.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 28 Dec 2012, 01:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Car Cuts Out

Thanks for the info. Okay, another simple solution. I didn't think the battery could be the problem because it was new and after the car dies it would start right back up with no problems. Besides, I had checked it and it was fine, but I never could catch it when it was acting up. Christmas night I was driving home (100 miles) and it started acting crazy - lights strobing, the dash getting brighter and dimmer and all the indicator lights on the dash (ABS, brake, seatbelt, Traction Control) coming on without being pressed. I pulled over a couple of times and it turned out that the battery was actually loose. The holddown was disconnected. I tightened it down and drove home and it has been fine. 5 hours back to DC and no problems.

I'm guessing that when it was moving the battery was getting a total disconnect and the car was running on the alternator causing the dash freakout. The car never died at speed, but it would stall when pulling into a parking spot or tollbooth. At those times it would act D-E-A-D. As in no battery - not a dead battery, none. No lights, no readouts, the trip odo would reset and the radio would go to AM. I'm going to finish sorting it this weekend because the negative cable won't fully tighten - strange they would use a round bolt. How are you supposed to catch the other side? I'll probably file a slot for a screwdriver unless somebody has a better idea.

It also seems that the occasional shudder at idle is gone. Maybe the loose battery was causing a drop in fuel pressure? That problem predated the cutting out by months, but was also intermittent.