Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Odd fob/key problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2012, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Odd fob/key problem

I searched for another thread about this problem but didn't find anything. Hopefully I am just doing something stupid and other people know the solution already.

I picked up an 06 with about 195k on it for cheap about a month ago due to a blown timing belt. I got that replaced, did other general maintenance (plugs, wires, belts, water pump, coolant, etc.) and it has been running fine.

My problem arose today when I got a new key. I only had one before (original with fob) and I knew it was a transponder key that needed fancy hardware to program (since I only had one). I took it to a locksmith here in town, he got it programmed and running.

I thought all was fine, it unlocked the door without setting off the alarm, started the car and I headed home. Over the course of the next few days I found that it sometimes opened the doors fine and sometimes set off the alarm.

What I have finally determined is that if I lock the doors with the button inside, the new key opens the door fine. If I lock the doors with the fob, the new key will set off the alarm when I unlock it. Either way, the new key starts the car fine and I can drive.

Reading the manual, it seems like the alarm should turn off when I unlock the door with the programmed key. The only thing that I can think of is that the new key needs to be registered with both the alarm system and the ignition system, but I can't find any reference to that in the documentation.

Anyone have any bright ideas?
Old 24 Dec 2012, 07:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Odd fob/key problem

With some extra looking, I do have the EVIC, and the new key is not turning off the alarm when it unlocks the door.

The fact that it starts and runs with that key indicates that it is programmed at least partially correct.

Ideas?
Old 24 Dec 2012, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am not crazy, I promise. I don't usually talk to myself

I did find a solution to this. After fiddling with various things, I tried the normal new key programming method listed here, but instead of putting a new third key in, I put the second key back in a second time.

I never did get the chime to indicate that it was in programming mode, but the light flashed at the appropriate times.

After doing that, it started working fine. That does not seem like it should have worked, but it did.
Old 25 Dec 2012, 01:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Glad it's all good now. I think the reason no one jumped in to contribute ideas was because no one ever had that particular problem. The chipped key usually works or it doesn't. So to have a partially programed key was a new one on the forum.
Old 25 Dec 2012, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This is just my personal opinion and I'm probably very much in the minority, but I hate auto security systems. I think the frequent false and other inadvertent alarms are far more aggravating than the small chance that any given car will be stolen.
Came home with my wife about 10:00 pm from visiting a friend. When I shut off the engine in the driveway, she opened her door and started to get out. I opened my door and hit the LOCK button. The alarms immediately sounded. Putting the key back in and turning on the engine didn't stop the noise. Driving the car down the road also didn't shut if off. My third thought was to pull the cable on the battery, but of course that requires about 20 minutes of disassembly to get to it (try it in the dark). The alarms sounded for 5 minutes or so (seemed like 15!), then went off.

I've followed the instruction in the owner's manual for deactivating the alarms, and although it works temporarily, the alarms reset themselves after a while. Having had enough of inadvertently pushing the PANIC button on the fob, I usually leave it in a drawer and use the non-fobbed key.

Silence is golden.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC
Old 25 Dec 2012, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, unfortunately it seems to have been a temporary solution.

Now it sets off the alarm whether I lock the door with the fob or the button inside. The alarm turns off when I put the key in the ignition and the key still starts the vehicle fine. I just need to get rid of that 3 horn beep initial alarm.

At this point I will probably just disconnect the horn and call it done. If this is not a problem that anyone else has seen, it is likely another typical Chrysler electrical gremlin.