• 2 Post By BJ8Healeys
  • 2 Post By sanatanadharma
  • 2 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By Motorhead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2012, 05:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Haynes vs. Chilton

Looking at getting a rpair manual, which would you suggest?

Anything is possible with some sweat and elbow grease!

2001 PT Cruiser LE, Purchased June 29, 2012, Born April 2001

Wanted Mods: Milani Rims, 2" Lowering Kit, Aftermarket Cold Air Intake, Custom Painted Trim, Painted Calipers, Slotted/Drilled Rotors, Custom Seat Covers

In Progress Mods: Shopping for rims, rewiring fog lights into parking lights

Completed Mods: Courtesy LED Strips (Thanks to rob342), Interior LED Lights
Old 27 Dec 2012, 05:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Haynes vs. Chilton

Why not get a factory service manual which is far better then either of your choices? But if you must choice Chiltons seems to do a better job the last several years and the illustrations are much better then with Haynes.

on CD
2001 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Service Repair Manual CD | eBay

paper manuals a few choices.
2001 PT Cruiser Service Manuals Haynes Repair Manual | eBay

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Service Manual Supplement 3 Diagnostic Procudure Manu | eBay

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Dec 2012, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've had occasion to use Chilton's several times over the years on several different cars and found them frequently deficient in the information I needed. There were several pages on how a wet-cell battery works, but no wiring diagram for the car I was working on. The Chilton's manual tried to cover too many different models in one book. I wrote them a letter about it, but they didn't bother to respond. Maybe they have improved since then.

I like the Haynes manual because it usually has what I expect to see in such a manual. However, it has its limitations, too. I have been using Haynes to guide me through a timing belt change in my '02 Cruiser, but there were several places where the instructions were ambiguous and again the problem of covering too many models/years with the same book so that many of the photographs don't apply. At least Haynes tries to identify differences in procedure for different models.

I agree that the best source would be the factory service manual, but in the absence of that I would go with the Haynes.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC
mityqwik and zamfir2 like this.
Old 27 Dec 2012, 06:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I recently compared my Haynes for my 2004 to a Chilton. They were the same, practically word by word by image. Pages and column layouts changed.
The publisher info in both was the same> One company, (can't remember which name) owns both books.
BTW, synchronicity as I'd just posted the same to camaron32.
On edit, noting the problem of limited knowledge base for 2nd gen electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ8Healeys View Post
I've had occasion to use Chilton's several times over the years on several different cars and found them frequently deficient in the information I needed. There were several pages on how a wet-cell battery works, but no wiring diagram for the car I was working on. The Chilton's manual tried to cover too many different models in one book. I wrote them a letter about it, but they didn't bother to respond. Maybe they have improved since then.

I like the Haynes manual because it usually has what I expect to see in such a manual. However, it has its limitations, too. I have been using Haynes to guide me through a timing belt change in my '02 Cruiser, but there were several places where the instructions were ambiguous and again the problem of covering too many models/years with the same book so that many of the photographs don't apply. At least Haynes tries to identify differences in procedure for different models.

I agree that the best source would be the factory service manual, but in the absence of that I would go with the Haynes.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC
CREWZIN and mityqwik like this.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 27 Dec 2012 at 06:03 pm. Reason: noting the problem of knowledge base for 2nd gen
Old 27 Dec 2012, 06:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As far as the Haynes and Chilton manual for the PT Cruiser, they are both the same!

I have the Chilton and Haynes 01-03 PT Cruiser manuals plus I have the Chilton 01-09 PT Cruiser manual. Almost word for word plus all the pictures are the same. I couldn't find any difference between the 01-03 and the 01-09 manuals either.

Now I didn't read every word of all the manuals but I did go through a lot of it. The pictures are the same in all manuals and whatever I looked up in either manual, it looked the same.

Ooooops, you beat me to it sanatanadharma, but only by a minute.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Dec 2012 at 06:04 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2012, 06:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

In the past Haynes was always my choice, seemed they would word it like they were looking at it, but those days are gone, and they both seem the same like stated above.

Only way to go, is Factory Service Manual. I bought mine off E-bay for about $30

I even saw more than once, the wording used in Haynes and Chilton's worded exactly like the Factory manual.
There are so many areas covered in the FSM that are over looked in the H/C publications. H/C are VERY "general" nowadays.

Spend a little extra green, visit E-Bay and get the best source.

Nice thing was, mine was available local, probably because we got the car building thing going on around these parts
zamfir2 likes this.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 27 Dec 2012, 08:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

As far as the PT is concerned, the Chiltons and Haynes repair manuals are identical. It looks like Haynes also publishes the Chiltons. Anyway either one is better than nothing and will more than pay for itself on the first job.