Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt Cruiser 06 wounnt start.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Dec 2012, 06:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Pt Cruiser 06 wounnt start.

Hi every one im new to the forum i have an 06 pt cruiser touring edition not convertible 70xxx miles i currently have a big problem my turn signal stopped working so i changed the turn signal lever inside on the steering wheel Column but in order to do that i have to take the a black box connected around the ignition key out after i connected everything back together i tried turning on the car but it doesn't start i been told that i have to do a restart the computer. can any one help me? or pint me in the right derection to fix the problem thanks.
Old 30 Dec 2012, 06:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Pt Cruiser 06 wounnt start.

I would take everything back apart and make sure you connected everything right and your connections are tight. You should have only had to remove one screw, one connection and lift it out and replace.

I hate to tell you this but chances are your turn signal issue is probably the TIPM if you troubleshooter everything else. You can try resetting the entire system by disconnecting the battery ground, pressing the brake pedal a few times and then waiting about ten minutes.

If that doesn't fix the turn signal then you will need to take it to the dealer for further diagnosis.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 06:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pt Cruiser 06 wounnt start.

mmm maybe, maybe not. I've got an '06 and had similar issues. If you removed the starter shroud, when you replaced it did you follow the instructions on what position the key has to be in when it's replaced? There are some very specific instructions regarding replacing ANYTHING mounted on the steering column. With the '06, on the CAN buss, you have to be exceptionally careful that you don't add or subtract load from the buss. Any touches to it can cause lots of issues.

Now as far as the TIPM goes, I had the dealership looking at mine and wanted to charge me for the TIPM replacement, which was way too friggin expensive. So I took it back home and worked on it myself. Ended up being a wiring problem in the trunk, where one of the lines going to the turn signal was crimped and had an intermittent connection. When I put it all back together the car wouldn't start. I had removed almost everything from the steering column to verify wiring. After going back and (like I should have at first) reading the OEM Service Manual, I followed all of the steps for replacing all of the parts, left the battery disconnected until complete, then voila! Started right up!!!

Big thing is if you make ANY changes to ANYTHING connected to the CAN buss system, you'd better have your battery disconnected, and push on the brake pedal a few times to rid the system of any floating capacitance. Otherwise, you can really screw up the ECM or TIPM, and those are costly repairs.

Also, AD1, before I make any more suggestions, before I make any offerings to you, I would suggest you post on the new member thread some info and add into your signature block the information on your car: year, model, any modifications done to it, mileage, etc. Personally I don't have that info in my sig block because I don't encounter that many issues with my baby, she's been very good to me for years now. But, if you want help, having that info in your sig block helps US to be able to better understand the conditions surrounding the issues with your car. Also, down in my sig block (yes, this is the first 'freebie') is a link to our documents library - I suggest you go pay a visit there and download anything you want that may help you with further troubleshooting. Now if you follow my suggestions, and yes, they are only suggestions as I'm not the owner, admin nor moderator here, I will gladly help you out further. Also, you need to edit your profile to show what part of the planet you are in. Doesn't need your street address, but at minimum what state, as we have many people here who are always volunteering to help out others when they are close by.

*** NOTE: All of the information above is simply suggestions, opinions, and some stupidity from the creator of this response post. Please note that no animals were harmed during the creation of this post, and that all though vegetarians can be nice people, they should be forced to eat beef....just because....

Last edited by Chromenut; 31 Dec 2012 at 06:36 pm.