PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fix it, Sell it, or Part it out?

Like Tree17Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2012, 03:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Fix it, Sell it, or Part it out?

Hi all,

I've poked around here many times looking for answers, and I've always been rewarded with tons of PT knowledge. I didn't know where to put this question, but I hope some of you good people can give me some insight.

I bought a 2001 Limited Edition in 2009, thinking I would only have it for a couple years and then I'd trade up. Well, economic conditions haven't allowed me to do that, and it's really taken a beating with all the commuting I've done with it. It now has 128,650 miles and it's not a pretty sight.

The body is embarrassing. At one point, someone bumped the corner of the driver side door with their vehicle, pushing it in, so that I can't open the back driver side door unless I open the front one first. Forgetting about this fact has bent the front one in further, and in the process also catching & tearing back the decorative strip. Every piece of rubberc is oxidized, the lamp covers are cloudy and peeling, the back hatch door doesn't stay up half the time and I have to use my HEAD to keep it up while I load things... It's just a shame.

It has a myriad of mystery problems that I can't diagnose. Mechanics scare me, as I've been overcharged for probably a couple grand over my lifetime.

I wish I could sell it, but from what I see, I would never get what I still owe on the loan, which is $3000. So I ask you... What would YOU do? I love my PT. It still needs new shocks, it has a small oil leak in one of the valves, and maybe a boot. I don't do my own repairs, either... So....... ?? I understand everyone may have a different opinion, but bring it on.

Last edited by mnahmnah; 09 Jan 2013 at 05:53 am.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 03:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Fix it, Sell it, or Part it out?

Think of it as a project. Get the knowlegde that you need and try to make some repairs yourself. People on here will always help with any questions you have. Look into your local salvage yards for parts, that should save a few bucks. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 31 Dec 2012, 10:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Some of those things can be repaired/replaced inexpensively... Pick up a head light polishing kit from the auto parts store for about $20. The hatch struts are easy to replace, about $40 for the pair from Rockauto. If you can change the spark plugs you can do these things too.
Even just a simple wash and wax will make the car look better...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 31 Dec 2012, 11:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Well, you said it yourself: you did let it come this far. In your case I would start fixing it one thing at a time. Maybe you can find a door in the right color so you're done with $150 or so. The other things are cleaning-related and will take some time. But that's the easiest investment. If you still have about $3000 to go for a 2001, that you bought 3 years ago, I think you paid way too much as it is. Nowing that, I don 't understand why you dindn't do the efford to keep it in condition unless you don 't like the car

Well, this is my 2 cents
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 31 Dec 2012, 01:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Do yourself a favor. Heres a guide :-)

Go to the junk yard. Find the same year PT.

Rip the rear door off it $50 :-)

Rip the rear hatch struts off it $10.

And rip off any other parts you may need $ some amount of $$ :-D

Go to Walmart. buy a Turtle wax headlight kit $8

go here

Dupli-Color/11 oz. black flexible aerosol bumper coating (FB105) | Bumper Coating Paint | AutoZone.com

Buy a few cans of that :-)

Restore your headlights :-) 1 hour :-)

Respray your bumpers 2-3 hours

Take the door to a paint shop, have it sprayed $100

Replace the broken bits

AND ENJOY YOUR CAR ON THE CHEAP SIDE OF LIFE :-D

Probably cost you $500 MAXIMUM , most likely less

No reason to heap a good car on small issues friend :-D

Also www.rockauto.com *we all live by this place*

I've taken a PT that the shop said would need $5,000 to get a sticker, and for roughly $1,200 i've restored it to AMAZING shape :-) A little ingenuity, some *im a cheepskate* attitude and a little elbow grease, im sure youll do your car proud :-)

Last edited by pluminator; 31 Dec 2012 at 01:10 pm.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 02:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the responses.

Thanks pluminator & rcktpwrd (I see you have a 2001 also) for the specific suggestions. I don't know what's out there at the auto parts store - and never been to a pick-n-pull... I don't think I could lift a new door to put it on, much less manhandle one from the pick-n-pull (and have no truck - don't you need a truck to take that stuff home in?).

One thing that's fun about my PT is that I took out the back seats and converted the back into a makeshift camper bed. I can't stretch all the way out, but it's comfy!

Last edited by mnahmnah; 09 Jan 2013 at 05:54 am.
Old 01 Jan 2013, 10:08 am
Cool Cruiser

[edit]

Last edited by mnahmnah; 09 Jan 2013 at 05:55 am.
Old 07 Jan 2013, 04:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teska View Post
If you still have about $3000 to go for a 2001, that you bought 3 years ago, I think you paid way too much as it is. Nowing that, I don 't understand why you dindn't do the efford to keep it in condition unless you don 't like the car

Well, this is my 2 cents
You're absolutely right, I paid too much. I went to CarMax ( a no-haggle used dealership ) because they have a 17-point checklist (?) and I thought they would fix major probs before selling. Not true.

Last edited by mnahmnah; 09 Jan 2013 at 05:55 am.
Old 07 Jan 2013, 08:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmnah View Post
I remembered more weird things about my PT I need to fix.

I think I'll take pictures to start my gallery and at least have a reference so I can pat myself on the back.

The spare tire hangs down .. way down.. so it's hanging at an angle and loouks like the big connector bolt is going to drop it. I've cranked it back up, but it just bounces back down during regular driving. I assume something is lacking good threads and that I can do this repair, but where to get that huge specialty bolt that locks onto the retaining piece that holds the tire in? Investigation is needed but so far the spare hasn't gone anywhere. I

One of my interior "map lights" would come back on after the car was turned off, locked, and dimmed. All would be normal, and then I'd go back out to the car later in the day, and the driver side map light would be on. Several times. Until I decided to just remove the bulb so I didn't end up with a dead battery someday. I still haven't replaced it. Yes, I do believe in ghosts, now that you mention it.

The washer fluid doesn't spray the back window anymore. I just noticed this one, so I haven't investigated at all. At this point, this is more a list for me to reference and check off.

Repair driver side doors... all new shocks... address valve oil leakage... check wires and hoses. Get an outside heated side mirror that actually fits (not off ebay this time). Start to actually wonder why the Trac light and ABS light never turn off (and no one can figure out why). Oh yeah, 128,600 miles. Time to wonder about the timing belt.

Oy.
Ya, tools make a good investment. I just bought valve cover gasket set for l $9.68 on eBay, got two. You can get felpro for $20. Free shipping on both.

Also abs and trac use the same sensors so check the plug connectors and wiring first.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 07 Jan 2013 at 09:23 am.
Old 07 Jan 2013, 11:27 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, good tip on the ABS and trac. IF I can get it running right again, I will investigate. Still can't really decide if I'm going to try repairing everything. Last night I was voting for parting out... I slept on it, today not sure. We'll see, one thing at a time. There's a lot wrong with this poor neglected baby.

Now on top of it, one of my new tires keeps randomly going flat. Bad valve? It'll happen right after I drove it long distances just fine, or had them all checked for pressure at the lube shop. Flat, like the rim kisses the ground and wants to cut thru the tire. But if you inflate it, you can't hear any leak and don't have air loss for days. I'm going to see if I can get it off the car and take it where I bought it... not interested in inflating it on the car just to putt putt die.. putt putt die... all the way to the store.